Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head Shots....Yes or No?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Head Shots....Yes or No?

I don't like when some say a head shot is a hit or miss shot. If you think it's a hit or miss shot, you are not good enough to take the shot. That is a 50/50 chance of hitting it.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM

I will not shoot a head shot. We as hunters have a duty to the animals we hunt to be ethical and not cruel. With a head shot there is not any room for error. A bad shot could cause a very slow and painful death for the deer.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

ORIGINAL: Canned Heat

thats def. comiong from someoone who is pretty ignorant themselves there bowman. and canned heat, you said exclusivley. thats pretty vague. i think the guys, myself included who arent afriad of popin a deer in the melon are saying if thats the shot they have, they take it. i do. but if i have a decent shoulder shot ide rather have it. up here in maine buddy you boys would go home empty handed w/ high and mighty opinions like that. you must be some of those polo shirt hunters w/ heated blinds and feeders and food plots i bet! i voted for #4 by the way

By exclusively, if you know what that means: as in the only shots they'll take. How that's vague, I don't know. I know of yahoos who think it's really neat to see what kind of carnage they can cause to the noggin of a whitetail....like they're in it for the killing and the graphic outcomeof it all more than they are for the meat, the hunt, or the health of the herd. Trust me, I still shoot competitively on occasion and could most times take out whatever, whenever within a given known range. Why would I risk a lost and wounded animal to a marginal shot like that when it's almost always uncalled for? Telling us you can dial in an easier, safer, andbetter shot on 72 square inches of deer head versus some 600+ square inches of vital region is a joke. So by your comment of: "4 deer per square mile...better make it count", you'll sit all morning for your one deer a day deer and when he swings by, all you're thinking about is a brain shot...because you might not see another deer? And when you do pull the trigger, is the deer even still at that point? Now I know where all the wounded jawless deer are coming from.

And for the record, I deer camp in Northern WI in an outside open-air tent with 7 other people. We butcher our own deer, crap in the woods, and take turns doing the chores that are necessary to keep the place from going to hell. We take showers from cooled boiling water before it freezes, and have on occasion booted wolves, badgers, and bears from our site. No 4 wheelers, no tv's, no heat, no nothing.

Learn to spell too, before you start piping up on how ignorant other people are....dumba$$.
first off i dont sit, so no i dont sit there and wit to take a brain shot. up here we track. many times if all i can see is the head. ill take it. knock on wood ive never had an issue w/ wounding an animal. the 350 mag does well in that respect. would i prefewr a bigger target, hell yea but i aint passin up my chance at a good buck by being the "holy one" such as yourself. i say 4 deer per square mile so you could get an idea of how hard the hunting is in the north part of the state. someone mentioned "shut off hunting here" that population isnt everywheres, just up near the canadian border where we hunt. but the deer are much much bigger. and isnt that name calling???? hm i believe i got banned for such a simialar outburst lol i hope the same happens to you "holy hunter"
"Holy one?" I do get to church most Sundays with the wife and kids.And why do you think hunting there is any harder than we have it here in WI or anywhere else?

If you remember as far back as yesterday, Brandon, your thread started off with this beautiful piece of penmanship:
thats def. comiong from someoone who is pretty ignorant themselves there bowman. and canned heat, you said exclusivley. thats pretty vague. i think the guys, myself included who arent afriad of popin a deer in the melon are saying if thats the shot they have, they take it. i do. but if i have a decent shoulder shot ide rather have it. up here in maine buddy you boys would go home empty handed w/ high and mighty opinions like that. you must be some of those polo shirt hunters w/ heated blinds and feeders and food plots i bet! i voted for #4 by the way.

Who started the name calling hear, sport? I hope your shooting is better than your typing. Make it to 7th grade over there? Enjoy your maple syrup.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure his shooting is better. you have to be a good crack shot to hunt the big woods.
-jake
Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol the only thing i need to know how to write is my name on my deer tag. and i will enjoy my homemade maple syrup thanks. is it possible i could get you to proof read all my posts for me, i mean you seem concerned...[&:]
Old 10-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol the only thing i need to know how to write is my name on my deer tag. and i will enjoy my homemade maple syrup thanks. is it possible i could get you to proof read all my posts for me, i mean you seem concerned...[&:]
go get em brandon
well my opinion is pretty much if there is a vitals shot im gonna take it if there is only a head shot then i willproblytake it but only withmy gun never with my bow JMO BTW dont feel bad about the spelling i suck so bad aty itbecause i say who cares as long as its 75 % ledgible
Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Head Shots (neck shots too)...Absolutely not.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

If your dog was hit by a car and was suffering and you had to put it down, would you shoot it behind the shoulder or in the head ?
Ive never killed a deer that was wounded, suffering, and at point blank range.[&:]

I don't care where you aim for a deer, just know your limitations and stay well within them. Mine just don't include head shots, to each his own.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

Im for shooting in the engine room (behind shoulder)I prefer it i dont mind other ppl doing it.I just dont besides ifI judged them i would be judging my cousins.itsyour opinion my opinion. Why do we bring these subject up?u shoot were ever i shoot were ever i just hunt and get meat for the freezer people lets just HUNT!

(i am against shooting fawns and yearlings though but thats ur opinion ur choice)
Old 10-21-2008, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

never heard of a suicider double lunging them selves.
whats the least painful ? whats the faster death ? whats more ethical then ?

If your dog was hit by a car and was suffering and you had to put it down, would you shoot it behind the shoulder or in the head ?
While I find both of these statements true, I'll have to say I don't agree with head shots. It only takes a small margin of error to miss the brain/spinal column andknock offa lower jaw. While I am very careful to be sure that my rifle is shooting where I point it, there are a number of things that can happen while hunting to cause you to miss. Personally, I've only had one chance where all I could see was a doe's head through the brush. I didn't take the shot. I don't feel that makes me better than any one on here.Just my personal choice.

Quick Reply: Head Shots....Yes or No?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.