Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 does temperature really determine deer movement? >

does temperature really determine deer movement?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

does temperature really determine deer movement?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Spike

Default does temperature really determine deer movement?

Hi,
I've always heard people say that "it's cold today so the deer should be moving" but I don't know if that is true or not. I've seen deer move on warm days and not seen a hair on freezing days. Is that just a myth or is there some truth to it?

What are other things that affect deer movement?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: does temperature really determine deer movement?

Well when its below freezing they have to move to keep their core temp up. They do it by moving and feeding. Deer move when the weather changes because the pressure is rising or falling, that is a good time to go. www.wunderground.com shows pressure change in the last 24 hrs in your area I believe.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey stabnslab thanks for the website, I think that could really be helpful in the future. They really give you a lot of information on there. I put it in my favorites right away.

Mufan, I feel if it is warmer than the deer like they will often sit tight until it cools down. Especially from this time of year on, if it gets unseasonably warm with that thick hide they lay tight. Once it cools down that's when you want to be hunting, like stabnslab said the pressure difference gets them moving.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

i do believe that the deer move because of the weather. if its cold they move to stay warm, if its hot they move to find shade and water, they also move when the air pressure changes do to storms or fronts coming in, but point being you should be in the woods whenever you can, you just never know.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The colder the better
Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM

I've killed deer in all types of weather. Rain, snow, windy,85 degrees in January, 15 degrees in January. You can kill them at any time, but I think the colder it is, you will see more deer, therefore having a better chance to kill one.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Spike

I hardly ever see deer when it is raining. Do deer move in the rain or are they indoors like I should be?

I do recall one day when there was a pressure change do to a storm moving in and deer were running around everywhere. It was unseasonably warm but a storm was moving in. How does pressure change trigger deer to move or is that one of life's mysteries?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Think of it this way, if you were overweight and wearing a goosedown parka would you move in 70 degree weather if you didn't have to? Pressure regulates their movement far more than temperature, but temperature definitely has an impact.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 AM

See I always thought when a front is moving in that you see alot less deer. Is this right though?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: badassbowtech

See I always thought when a front is moving in that you see alot less deer. Is this right though?
They do feed more when the barometer is moving.

Quick Reply: does temperature really determine deer movement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.