Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how long before deer returns to pattern after spooked? >

how long before deer returns to pattern after spooked?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how long before deer returns to pattern after spooked?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Spike

Default how long before deer returns to pattern after spooked?

Hi,
How long does it take a deer to resume his normal pattern after you spook him? I know there is no right answer but I am curious what other hunters have experienced. I know it takes more than one day as I spent all day hunting for a deerthat spotted meyesterday hoping he would come back through. I'm sure it is related to how he was spooked as well......getting shot at i think would probably take longer than if he winded you. thanks.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 PM

Default RE: how long before deer returns to pattern after spooked?

depends on how bad you spook them... ive been walking in and bumped deer from an oak i know they were feeding from-- they stood there in the dark blowing at me. i hung my stand and 30 min later arrowed a big fat doe. they spooked again and came back 10 min later--- even smelled her blood, i coulda shot another. so i think it depends on each occurance.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:58 PM

Unfortunately that is a question that can never be accurately answered. You'll just have to go by trial and error. I would, however, give them a couple of days or even weeks to settle down before attempting to go back in. You definitely do not want to push them from the area for good.

Sorry I couldn't provide a better answer.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

I think a mature buck, once you've been spotted in daylight on one of his trails, will probably go nocturnal for the rest of the season, unless he is chasing tail of course. As for younger deer, they might forget about it in the next 15 minutes. Just my $0.02.
Chris
Old 10-18-2008, 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: mufan

Hi,
How long does it take a deer to resume his normal pattern after you spook him? I know there is no right answer but I am curious what other hunters have experienced. I know it takes more than one day as I spent all day hunting for a deerthat spotted meyesterday hoping he would come back through. I'm sure it is related to how he was spooked as well......getting shot at i think would probably take longer than if he winded you. thanks.
Did you ever stop to think that maybe the deer was not on a "pattern" but just happened to be there when you were?Deer don' always use the same exact route every day, especially with does coming into estrus about now, or with food sources changing.

Although older bucks often travel their rub routes almost every day, at about thesame time, the farther they gat away from their core area, the more likely it is that they will not be at thesame spot at the same time, because maybe a coyote (or a human like you) spooked them. Or maybe it rained, or it was cloudy, or too hot to move.

The best thing you can do is figure our whwere the buck's caytime core area is, by backtracking it's rubroute, and then set up nr the core area - to hunt the deer in the evening when it leavesto feed or look for does.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: gutshot101

depends on how bad you spook them... ive been walking in and bumped deer from an oak i know they were feeding from-- they stood there in the dark blowing at me. i hung my stand and 30 min later arrowed a big fat doe. they spooked again and came back 10 min later--- even smelled her blood, i coulda shot another. so i think it depends on each occurance.
Have had similar situations. I have have deer come within five yards of a gut pile and not even act like they care. That happened on public hunting land but still surprised me. (not my gut pile ether happened to see it after it got day light.)
Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

i shot a bobcat that was 3 yards away from a buck. the buck didn't even flinch. now, i think deer hear shots and start to get used to them.

however, just because a buck saw you doesnt mean in his head he was like 'omg there is a human, i better not come around here again.' the deer really dont know what we are they just know something isnt right. i think people seem to make deer smarter than they really are.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on which of the deers three main senses-hearing, sight, smell-was violated. In many cases, if the first two are violated on their own, no major worries. If busted by sight and sound together, it could have an affect on his pattern.

Of the buck's senses, smell rarely needs to be validated by one of the others before spooking out of a pattern for at least a few days, minimum. Of course, much depends on the cover/pressure in the area. You could bump him into other hunters, and he comes back your way to avoid the latest threat.Also, of course, someone will tell you of an exception. There will ALWAYS be an exception to the norm.