Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head shot on does

Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Head shot on does

lol, well thanks for not voicing the other option than...but it is still a legal method, and we still do it.
-Jake
Old 10-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: moose1915

ORIGINAL: Otsdawa_Game_Hunter

Last season we had a doe running around with a lower jaw missing and it took us 2 days to finally get her down. Some NYC "Vinny" from down state

Mack
i guess it's only racism if you say it about blacks, huh Mack?

pitiful

Now I've seen it all. Guess being called a redneck is next...... and don't offend guys named Mack either.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

ooo man, dont say redneck I will be offended for sure!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Banned

I guess you could say the reason not to take head shots is the same reason we don't use a firing squad anymore....
Old 10-20-2008, 07:11 PM

It is not ethical to TRY a head shot. No matter how good of a shot you are (or think you are), you cannot becertain ofa clean quick kill. The deer could mover or your aim could be a little off.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya you might have wacked that scope on a limp when walking in or hit a pot hole when driving to your spot. just to many if's
ORIGINAL: 7X57MAUSER

It is not ethical to TRY a head shot. No matter how good of a shot you are (or think you are), you cannot becertain ofa clean quick kill. The deer could mover or your aim could be a little off.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Bocajnala

ooo man, dont say redneck I will be offended for sure!!!!
LOL, i know please dont call me a redneckbut as for the question, i wouldnt take the shot, because i dont shoot my guns as much as i would like to, but i aint agains anyone who does its there decesion, as long as they recover there deer, and it didnt go through any suffering.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Otsdawa_Game_Hunter

A round into the engine room works every time. If you need a head shot to down a deer because either you are too lazy/incompetent to track if necessary then you probably shouldn't be out there anyway.

Mack
I've taken does with headshots twice. I'm an invited guest at the ranch where I hunt, and my host asked me to harvest does for him and to use headshots so as not to waste any meat. One was taken at a range of about 10 yards, the other at about 40. Both dropped in their tracks, and I can assure you underwent far less suffering than any of the deer I've shot behind the shoulder. It's not a shot I would ordinarily take, but, my host requested it and I obliged. I waited for deer that were within my comfort zone for making the shots and was confident that I could make the shots or I wouldn't have squeezed the trigger. Please explain why that is "unethical"...

Frankly, if you can't consistently make a headshot at that range, then you're either incompetent or too lazy to practice your shooting skills, and you probably shouldn't be out there anyway... With a scope on 9X at 40 yards, you can pretty much pick out which strand of hair you want to hit...
Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blanket question butto I answer I would say

Bow = No headshot.
Rifle = Not usually, but have killed a couple with neck shots.
Shotgun = Yes, I have killed a boat load of deer with 3 1/2" 00 buck
headshots that werewell within the effective range andthat
load has killed them graveyard dead everytime.

Also depends on the type of hunting. When using tactics like pushes, man drives, ordeer dogs you don't always get a perfect broadside shot at a still deer. Just being honest.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Whats wrong with a double lung???

Quick Reply: Head shot on does

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.