Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips hunting a full moon?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Spike

Default Tips hunting a full moon?

Lets hear some of you all hunting strategies for hunting during a full moon. I havn't seen much activity the past couple days (as usual with a full moon) but sitting in my stand before daylight I had a couple come right under my stand, and could barely make them out in the moonlight. I sat all morning pondering how I need to adapt to this full moon, and where to set up. I have been focusing on harwood stands with plenty of oaks, as the acorns are falling like rain, yet Im not seeing the deer. I was thinking maybe I need to focus on finding the bedding area and set up a little closer in the mornings, and then hit those oaks for afternoon and evening stands? I want to hear what you guys do to overcome the full moon and the somewhat nocturnal deer that come with it....cause Im getting skunked! thanks

-Kevin
Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tips hunting a full moon?

Two suggestions...As you mentioned get close to the bedding areas, in hopes that if they do move, you will be close...

The other strategy...Hunt during the middle of the day...Most of us don't see deer during this time, because we aren't in the woods...Wait until 10 or so and hunt either until 2-3 or tough it out until dark...

It's also time to start a little calling...Bucks down here are starting to look for does, so if you are near a bedding area and he hears you, he could get up and come see what's up...I've had good results, using a doe estrus bleat about 3-4 times, waiting 10 minutes or so and then following up with some buck grunts...
Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tips hunting a full moon?

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Two suggestions...As you mentioned get close to the bedding areas, in hopes that if they do move, you will be close...

The other strategy...Hunt during the middle of the day...Most of us don't see deer during this time, because we aren't in the woods...Wait until 10 or so and hunt either until 2-3 or tough it out until dark...

It's also time to start a little calling...Bucks down here are starting to look for does, so if you are near a bedding area and he hears you, he could get up and come see what's up...I've had good results, using a doe estrus bleat about 3-4 times, waiting 10 minutes or so and then following up with some buck grunts...
I agree...and with that said, it's time to start some light rattling as well. Position yourself/stand20-35 yards or so off a main trail leading/exiting their bedding areas, go into the woods around 10am, and sit tight. Also, find their watering hole as well, also a good stand location for mid-day activity. Good luck to you.