Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Will keeping a muzzleloader loaded cause any problems? >

Will keeping a muzzleloader loaded cause any problems?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will keeping a muzzleloader loaded cause any problems?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Default RE: Will keeping a muzzleloader loaded cause any problems?

Shouldn't be an issue. I will typically load mine at the beginning of BP season in GA, and hunt with it for the rest of the season. Obviously, I'll re-load if I shoot at something.... I won't rely on a load if I've been out hunting and it was raining or really damp; I'll typically either shoot it or unload it by removing the breach plug because I don't want to take the chance on soggy pellets. But, if it's dry, I'll leave it loaded for weeks at a time.

I, too, unintentionally left mine loaded from one season to the next with no ill effects. We were supposed to get down to the lease and do more hunting, but one thing led to anothe and we never got down. Finally, the next season, I pulled the old smoke pole out and realized it was still loaded from the previous season. After unloading and a little bit of light cleaning (just to be safe and sure), it shot just fine.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pretty much agree with everyone. .... Teperature changes like being out in the cold hunting then going into a car and getting warm or into a house where it is warm starts condensation. Think of a cold drink in the summer.

There is less mosture in the air but even then repeated heating and cooling will cause moisture to build up.

If your shooting a 209 primer this probably won't hurt you. But #11's aren't a ton of fire like a 209 so you have to be carefull. If its not that cold out your probably fine. Another option is to leave it in the back of your car or truck (in a case of course)so it never warms up. Then you'd probably be fine.

I have left mine loaded, well my inline I have. As for my percussion (side lock) I like to unload that every night or I try to.

I've never had a missfirewhen it counted.I alwaystry to cleanthe gun before I load it the first time (probably helps)

I did go out one time with my first inline (a cheap CVA) Iwalked in and sat down. Whenthe sun started to come up I could see I was near a guy so I got up and tried to sneak out as quiet as possible. I went up the road and to the other side and sat down 40 yards or so off the road. 15 minutes later I shot a big doe. It was cold so it took me a while to field dress her. As I did I hear the guy I crowded shoot (or so I thought) I was glad he had had an opertunity. Unfortunatly it turn out tobe a cap going off. A few minutes later I hear another pop. then finallyI hear it go off.

I was mad at myself for walking in on him but his hunt had ben ruined from the start. I fear a missfire sometime (probaly when thenew world record walks out in front of me) So I tend to play it safe.

So anyway whats your setup. Pellets and a 209 primer and your probably fine. A sidelock and a #11...you might need to unload.

Just my thinking.

Jason
Old 10-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Actually it can be a problem, temperature changes can create moisture inside the gun. BP and BP substitutes are orthoscopic, meaning they soak up moisture, causeing ignition failure. Its happened to me in the past, which is one of the reasons I bought a Savage(smokeless). You will more than likey be OK if your shooting an inline 209 w/ BH209 or 777 but BP and pyrodex is very sensitive to moisture and#11caps might not be hot enough ,if powder was exposed to moisture at all. If you dont want to take a chance, you might want to fire it at the end of the day and load it fresh every morning, to me its a little extra effort well spent. If not ,you might want to at least aviod drastic temp. changes like bringing it inside or in your car w/ the heat on.
That may be true, but I think most of us are not going to store our guns where they will beexposed to moisture or extreme heat.
Its not exteme heat that you havt to worry about, its going from cold to warm in a short period of time ,that will create a sort of sweating (as j.lester already stated)inside the bore. Enough to cause a hang or misfire? I think its possible but w/ todays more advanced guns and powders the chances are greatly reduced.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I shoot a Savage also ...

dd
In that case you can load it now, and shoot it next fall

BTW what load ya using? I use 40gr IMR4759/ 250 gr SW/ MMP short black (2000fps cronied, no recoil)
Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leaving the powder in, can cause a misfire under the right conditions. Just because most people get away with it doesn't mean it is 100% going to work.If you can, the best way is to fire the gun off safely, clean the gun and reload just prior to hunting. I just wouldn't want to have the gun misfire on anyanimal or especially a trophy animalbecause I didn't want to discharge/clean it properly.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:38 PM

I shoot a thomson hawkins and leave the powder in till the end of the season if I don't shoot. Never a misfire.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

last year, i went hunting, and kept it loaded over night, and the next day i saw 4 deer, and i got 3 shots, and each time the only thing that would go off was my cap. so i wont do that again this year.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

What do you guys think ...will loading a muzzleloader and keeping the same powder and bullet in it for over a week cause any problems when it comes time to fire it?

dd
Nope. I've left them loaded for an entire ML season before and shot it out the last day and it hit dead on. Keep it dry and you'll be fine.

One suggestion though: keep it in a truck or garage if possible. Going from heat to cold will cause moisture to accumulate.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hasn't been a problem here. Normally keep it loaded from the first hunt, till when we shoot at a deer.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I have always worried about Static Electricity making it go off......

Quick Reply: Will keeping a muzzleloader loaded cause any problems?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.