Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you have any Traditions for Gun Season? >

Do you have any Traditions for Gun Season?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you have any Traditions for Gun Season?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you have any Traditions for Gun Season?

For me, hunting is about going out in the woods and trying to harvest a deer and have fun, but its also about the things that go along with hunting. I was just wondering if anybody has any traditions they do every year be it the day before the gun opener for deer or after shooting a deer at camp? My buddy and I have enacted a "Kill Bottle" where we only take a shot of this bottle the night after we have a deer harvested (Appropriately, it's Bullet Whiskey). I'd love to hear the good, bad and ridiculous traditions. Field and Stream had an article last year about deer camp traditions and I thought it was outstanding. Just like to know if you guys have anything special you do for luck and/or fun!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you have any Traditions for Gun Season?

Saturday before is always the game dinner, Sunday a.m. final shoot in of rifles along w/ some competition, Sunday night Pasta dinner. Been that way for 30 years. Oh, we have the scrotum of a buck mounted on the wall by the door, you give those a rub for good luck on your way out. The night after first day, if you missed a buck you get your shirt tail cut off by a successful hunter and hung on the antlers of old 13 point until the next year. You shoot a button buck, your picture is taken and put under a toilet seat on the wall until next year. How about a shell/arrow count beofre you go hunting, I know you can cheat but you will not beleive the guys that try. We have one guy we write a number on his shells in a different colored ink every year. All in good fun and many years of traditions passed down.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is what I miss from our deer camp years ago when I was a kid. Everyone would usually play poker with the same change they had been bringing for years, some years yours ended up hevier or lighter than others. My grandfather actually had a jar he kept in his camper for poker change. It was always fun. Stories were told in anticipation for the next days hunt. We'd also go cut wood for a fire when we got there. Everyone pitched in. Everyone had grandpa sharpen their knives. Although most people didn't need them.

We only had a few deer in our camp over all those years. But it wan't the deer hunting I remember, but rather the time spent. We never had any real traditions other than our rutine. But it was always a good time.

We have enacted a fishing tradition on our now yearly trip to canada. We fish one particular spot (a shallow spot in the middle of the lake. About 12 feet) while were there we try to flip out a penny each year. We didn't get there this year but we'll make up for it next year.

Jason
Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Before I leave the house,when loading up the truck I have a couple shots ofJägermeister. A toast to the deer gods as it where. Onemustbecome one with the deer gods.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Me and my grandpa always start out our friday morning trip up north with a classic cd with bananas at large. songs like da tirty point buck and the second week of deer camp and on and on. Set up and check some stands on friday and hit the local bar for a couple of good luck drinks and off to bed before opening morning where we always play da tirty point buck on the way to our property to get in our stands. The buck shooter always ends up buying a round for the entire camp at the end of the day.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

I always pull out of my driveway with "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent playing and end with "Fred Bear". Spent countless hours checking and rechecking my stuff. Mother in-law makes an awesome breakfast for the first day. Father-in-law shoots deer of a lifetime, every year....

Old 10-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

At my deer camp we do a few things we watch escanaba in the moonlight before opening day every year.Also we start a buck pool who ever shoots the first buck gets the money. And bull **** with each other for hours and show off are new hunting guns.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

About my only tradition is ''the hat''. ITs been on my head for years now and its helped kill a pile of deer with me. Its laying the the floorboard of the truck now waiting for Saturday.

It was under the tabogon when I shot this one.

Wore it when this one was killed too. Pic was the day after.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Got a shirt....and only shirt that still fits me after all of these years...that Ive killed MOST of my deer in. Got it when I was 15. Im 23 now and prolly put on 80lbs lol.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

We go over my buddies house and sleep there on Friday. We usually are up all night carrying on and catching up. We play some ping pong and talk about where we're going in the morning. Then in the morning I usually get up first and get the coffee going. We pack everything into the trucks and head out. We pray before we head out that God watch over us and everyone else that day. What happens after that is dependent on who (if anyone) gets a deer.

Thanks I'm getting giddy now.

Quick Reply: Do you have any Traditions for Gun Season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.