Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field dressing a deer sucks

Old 10-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Spike

I find field dressing to be an interesting thing. I think if everyone field dressed their meat they would have more respect for the animal, like pulling out its guts really makes you realize that this used to be a living, breathing creature who will now provide meat for you and your family. As quite a few other people have mentioned, if you can't clean it, don't kill it.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Spike

Vicks vapor rub. A little around your nose and you won't smell anything.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Spike

Skinning is easy if you check out the youtube video of the golfball skinning trick. Circle cut the ankles & neck. Place a golf ball under the skin and loop a rope around it, skin and all. Hook it to your bumper and the deer head to a tree and slowly, very slowly pull forward. The skin pulls right off.

Gutting the deer is less messy if you hang it head first from a tree. It's not the best way, but everything just falls out with only a couple swipes of a good knife. Just watch your feet, lol
Old 10-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've grownup killing animals for slaughter. It wasn't a game or sport. It was what you did to have meat for the family. Most people that can't take it hasn't been around it and have been sheltered to real life. Just man up and get use to it.

I can crawl in inside a gut shot deer like an opossum does a dead cow. Jump in boys...the waters fine.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Doesn't bother me one bit but my brother and dad can't do it without gagging or puking. Just dressed one out for my dad this morning and he started to gag. It always makes me laugh.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

to each their own but geez... i'm a little surprised when a person says they're cool with taking the life of a living creature yet is disgusted while claiming the kill. lets man up here.