Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field dressing a deer sucks

Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Field dressing a deer sucks

I am okay unlessI accidentlyknick the stomach. It is then I step backandfocus on keepingeverythingdown.
On the whole, it is just part of the job.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

don't mind it at all, but then again i lovbed anatomy class in high school.........just part of the kill........i've goutted my share of gut shot deer in the past though, and they'll make even the strongest stomachs roll......
Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM

i hate when i do it, cus for some reason my farts smell like deer guts the whole week after[:'(]
Old 10-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mitchmtm1

I don't mind it at all. Field dressing, skinning, and butchering are all a part of hunting deer to me.

Mitch
I agree 100%!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:15 AM

I can't smell!....................... I have no sense of smell and yet field dressin still isn't the mostpleasant thing to do for me. It definetly doesn't turn me off deer hunting, thats for sure. I don't think anybody actually enjoys it, some just dislike it more than others. It has no ill effects on me but it sure would be nice if the deer would process its self! JK
Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 AM

In the current issue of field and stream they actually say one of the most common situations in which hunters will experience heart attacks is while field dressing a deer.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gut a lot of deer for people because they get this glazed look in thier eyes as they are doing it and I want o get back to hunting. I've seen the pukers and they are always fun to watch gut deer..............The pee bag cutters, the stabbers (gut holes), the hair cutters (all in the meat) and the people that don't gut, just wait until they get them to the processors. In PA you have to have the deer ear tagged when you take it for processing, inaddition you must fill out and send a harvest post card to the PAPGC. This is a law everyone follows ot the letter, that way the PAPGC can skew the deer kill averages. You must tag them prior to moving them.
In Ohio we have to check in the tagged deer, they then do their thing and put a metal tag on the deer for transport. Same tag before moving.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

It's not that bad to gut a deer. Thing I hate the most is the drag. Sometimes the drag isn't hard, and I don't mind it, but when it's a drag, that sucks.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Deer Destroyer, get a quad w/ winch. No dragging
Old 10-16-2008, 10:25 AM

I don't mind it as much as I'm just clueless... I grew up cleaning birds, but only started chasing deer at ~25, this year will be my 4th hunt (at 30) and hopefully my 3rd, 4th, and 5th deer...

I just don't have any idea what I'm doing. My dad can cludge his way through it, but he hadn't dressed a deer for over 25 years when I shot my first one... so he's not really a great teaching resource!!!

someone have a checklist to follow or something like that I can keep in my pocket!?!?!?!

Quick Reply: Field dressing a deer sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.