Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Processing, do it yourself or send it out? >

Processing, do it yourself or send it out?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Processing, do it yourself or send it out?

Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Processing, do it yourself or send it out?

I always butcher my own. My reasons why.
1- I can cut the steaks out how I want them. Size, portion, and style.
2- package it how I wantfor serving.
3- know I'm getting my own meat.
4-I can take the time to remove all talo & grizzle
5- I had a deer butchered 1x, and I was shocked how little I got back. I know I should'vegotten more.
6-Cost saving. Butchers charge around $75just to debone, on top anything else you want made.1 deer I had done cost me $120, sausage, slim jims, burger!!
7-I can get to it faster than takes most butchers with other deer hanging to getmine done. Thats scary if butcher doesn't have a hanging walk in cooler & its warm outside!
8- I can see the damage my shot made once skinned down. I find this interesting on archery shots. I've seen some odd arrow movement a few times.
9- It teaches you alot about deer anatomy when you see the insides for yourself.
10-Overall I just feel alot better when done it myself.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Ive done every one of the 30 or so Ive killed ,even when I lived in small apt. in NYC! Completly self taught. I find it more rewarding and even enjoyable. Get yourself two good knives, a saw and a 100$ grinder and you're good to go.
You butchered in your NYC apartment? I find that funny in a good way. I can just see it. You walking up your stairs with a human sized deer wrapped up in a tarp on your shoulders saying to your neighbors "don't mind me" while they gave you funny looks. lol
Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IowaBoy01

Ive done every one of the 30 or so Ive killed ,even when I lived in small apt. in NYC! Completly self taught. I find it more rewarding and even enjoyable. Get yourself two good knives, a saw and a 100$ grinder and you're good to go.
You butchered in your NYC apartment? I find that funny in a good way. I can just see it. You walking up your stairs with a human sized deer wrapped up in a tarp on your shoulders saying to your neighbors "don't mind me" while they gave you funny looks. lol
Ya know, now that ya mention it, people did seem to be more polite to me after that
Old 10-13-2008, 09:10 PM

how long should you let the deer hang before you start to process it?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

DYI here, about 4 a year for the last9 years. SHAARRPPP knife is the key. You don't have to let them hang at all, or if its cold you can let them hang a few days, but I recomend skinning ASAP while the skin is still warm. If its cold, one of my neighbors lets it hang for about 3-4 weeks until there is a quarter inch black layer that gets cut off, gross i think
Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Unless my processor ups his price this year, i can drop off an unskinned Deer anda couple of weeks laterpick up a couple of boxes of wrapped, frozen Venison for $55. At that price, i see no reason to mess with it myself!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im with you, I live in Downtown Chicago in an area where the only wild animals these people see are the Cougars that are parked in there garage. I live in a 3 flat with million dollar houses around me and pull up to my place with me deer and drag them in a tarp to my patio and hang them (Blocked from view with a big tarp) Butchered them out there 5 or 6 times. I honestly can say that I am one of the few people to butcher a deer on there patio in Chicago!

The majority of the time I butcher my deer myself. I skin and quarter, My dad cuts them up. Works out pretty well. If I do get them butchered, its about $65 for a basic butchering

That a great how to post that JohnnyBravoputup. Perfect for a first timer.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

I always butcher my own. My reasons why.
1- I can cut the steaks out how I want them. Size, portion, and style.
2- package it how I wantfor serving.
3- know I'm getting my own meat.
4-I can take the time to remove all talo & grizzle
6-Cost saving.
7-I can get to it faster than takes most butchers with other deer hanging to getmine done. Thats scary if butcher doesn't have a hanging walk in cooler & its warm outside!
Ditto on these. I might add that my vacum sealer extends the freezer life of my deer. I have to admit though, after 3 or 4 deer, I'm ready to just take it to be processed. Even then though, it's just the hind quarters to be made into ground meat and sausage. It usually costs me $28 to $35 to do that. I tenderize my own steaks and cut the back straps and tenderloins to be fried. As I am typing this, I'm eating deer jerky that I made myself. Dang it's good.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: moss50012

how long should you let the deer hang before you start to process it?
If its cool enough ,I like to let mine hangs about 3-4 days, the muscle tissue seems to relax a bit, making the meat more tender IMO. The temp has to be perfect though, above 25+ and below 40+ consistantly. One time I let a doe hang for almost a week in 10 deg. weather, took 3 hrs to skin her.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Central Ohio I have seen $100 to $55 dollars. I am a lon ehiunter here so processing is kind of rough