Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

when to look for rublines?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 AM

Default when to look for rublines?

i took tomarrow off work to scout all day. i went sunday for alittle but and didn't see a whole lot. just some small rubs and alot of scrapes. has anybody else been seeing any rublines or is it too early?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: when to look for rublines?

I went out this weekend and looked for sign to put up my stand. I have already noticed a lot of scrapes and rubs in the area I am hunting. You should be able to start seeing some soon, if they haven't already started.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i found rub lines in my neck of the woods as early as the beginning of september.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am starting to see small rubs just this past week. Here in Northern VA, we usually start seeing the beginnings of aggressive rubs around October 20th-25th or so.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:29 PM

According to deer researcher and writer T.R. Michels, although bucks may begin rubbing as soon as they shed velvet, as early as September 1, they often go through what he calls the "Dispersal Phase" in some areas, which is when they move from their summerhome ranges to their fall home ranges, and when the older bucks begin establishing their breeding ranges, making rubs and scrapes along their semi-regular used (daily) travel routes.This oftenbegins about mid-October in the upper midwest, and earlier in the south. So - you can look for rub routes in September, but you may have to look for them again after mid October.

Check his "Deer Activity Graphs" at www.TRMichels.com