HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   2 early for doe urine, bleating, grunting (OH)? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/267774-2-early-doe-urine-bleating-grunting-oh.html)

mufan 10-12-2008 09:49 PM

2 early for doe urine, bleating, grunting (OH)?

Hi,
I have found a ton of rubs in my hunting spot in lawrence county Ohio and I want to start putting out the doe urine, bleating, grunting, rattling, etc. but I don't want to run them off. Is now the time to start hunting these tactics or is it too early and will hurt more than help?

The Outdoorsman 10-13-2008 07:45 AM

RE: 2 early for doe urine, bleating, grunting (OH)?

grunting is fine but not too much, make it sound as if you are a new deer in the area and grunt a time or two, see if the dominate buck hears this and comes running to see who the "new guy" is. I'd lightly rattle to simulate young bucks sparring as well. I wouldnt use any urine until later in the month and the begining of Nov.

matt6506 10-13-2008 11:36 AM

im from noble cty ohio, and i've had some does come into bleating already and i killed one of them. I've already tried rattling and grunting, but with no sucess. I think im going to put out some mock scrapes but not for another week or two, probably around the 25th or so. Last year i shot a 125" 8 pt on Nov 4 when he came in to the bleat, so the times coming......i would hold of with the scent for a couple weeks, if u would like i could put out a mock scrape and see what happens i got tons of land to hunt......just throwing it out there..... but i think its still to early

buckslayer_OH 10-13-2008 12:39 PM

Im in ohio too and this weekendI heard a buck grunting in the woods behind whereI was but I think it would be ok to use the doe urine right now..

TreednNC 10-13-2008 12:49 PM

Maybe doe urine thats not estrus....from a 'strange' deer....purely as a curiosity scent though.

The Deer Destroyer 10-13-2008 10:27 PM

I'd say around the 23rd or so would be the time to start rattling, and grunting. Then about Halloween, start with the doe estrus, and evenmore agressiverattling, and grunting. It's too early now.

newguy23 10-14-2008 07:41 PM

Doe urine acts as basically a cover scent. It is designed to make the deer feel comfortable. I have found that grunting and light rattling will bring bucks in this time of year, but has scarred a few does away from me.

Estrous is a different "animal". I have seen many a doe act spooked by it, does do not like to be around other does in heat, because they attract male bucks. If a doe is not in heat, she doesn't want to be harassed. If you want to hunt does, don't put estrous out. In the same idea, I swear by estrous to bring bucks in before, during, after, and for the second rut.

bcso19 10-16-2008 12:33 PM

I have just started grunting this week and have not used any scents, as the other guys said, I will wait to use estrus until late in the month. I think light grunting and rattling right now has some potential.

The Deer Destroyer 10-16-2008 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: bcso19

I have just started grunting this week and have not used any scents, as the other guys said, I will wait to use estrus until late in the month. I think light grunting and rattling right now has some potential.
I would agree about light rattling. It's just about pre-rut here in Ohio, and the bucks are going to start to feel their oats. Anyway, tomorrow morning looks really good. like 40 or upper 30s and light wind.