Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guys, I'm getting soft

Old 10-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guys, I'm getting soft

Wasn't there a study done that shows if you harvest a doe with button buck fawns, the majority of time they spend most of there lives within a 1/4 mile. I remember reading that somewhere. Don't know how accurate it was, but I remember it being from a reliable source. By rifle season, I'll harvest a doe with fawns if its near the last days of my hunt. For me, it all depends on what fawns she has. BBs are most likely going to be forced off by there mother anytime that late in the fall, so I have no problem taking her if she has a one or two BBs. Most of the time I see BB's when Im hunting, they are already alone. Last year I saw 3 sets of BB twins and they were never accompanied by a doe. If its a mom with 1 or 2 doe fawns, I let her go. I just don't think those fawns are ready to make it yet. I may be wrong with my reasoning, but I feel ethical with it. I usually can't hunt until November, so by then, the deer are a little more mature so I feel a little bit better with my decisions.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going the opposite direction, when young didn't want to take a doe/fawn, now I've come to realize it doesn't really matter. Heard Dr.Deer or someone also state that a study showed taking a mature doe, the fawns are fine on their own, and will actually hold to your property more likely. Also I almost never see a doe without a fawn....and when I do, I'm sure they're nearby. So you can juts wait a month and take that doe after she's run off the fawns....though I believe they kick out the button bucks ahead of the doe fawns....really you're not killing that fawn if you take that doe....

Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

About 6 or 7 years ago I bought my father a new 7mm-08 remington rifle. I was dying to try it out on a deer and he had not shot a deer with it yet.. So I decide to bring it out one afternoon with me to the stand. Wouldn't you know it.. there is a nice doe that jumps up from under my stand when I approached, I put the cross hairs on her and the 7mm-08 dropped her in her tracks like a rock.I walked over to her and was checking her out when I thought I was being charged by another doe, I was kneeling down so the deer running at me looked alot larger than it really was.. I had 2 NY doe permits for this area so I pulled the rifle up and centered the cross hairs on its neck and dropped that one as well. As soon as it hit the ground and started to make noise I instantly knew what I just had done and it was not a good feeling. I was an inexperienced hunter with no patience and it truly was the most horrible moment of hunting I had ever experienced. Just knowing that I not only shot the mother but also the fawn just about made me hang up the camo, bow and rifle forever. Call me soft if you will but sometimes I still get upset about that moment and my lack of judgement. I hope to be able to teach my son from my mistake.

BUT... this has made me a much better hunter and I have since never taken a doe with our without a fawn. I enjoy the outdoor experience much more than killing and to me that is what it is all about.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

I feel like most of the other guys here, I will not take a doe with fawns, I don't care what others do or say but that is me. I would reather sit in my stand and watch them run around a play. There are plenty of other doe's around to harvest. Just like some one said, this is why it's called hunting NOT killing....
Old 10-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Ive killed does up into mid december that were still lactating pretty profusely
Old 10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Spike

Yep, I was thinking the same thing this morning as I watched a momma & two fawns nearby.I had no intention of shooting, even ifshe were in range, but when one of the fawns came up to her & shestarted licking it, it got me thinking. Yes they need thinned out, butI was thinkinghow she spent all summer guarding & raising them, that there was a special bond whether they knew it or not that I didn't want to break. Besides, they have been passing by my trail cams quite often, so I've been able to observe their growth, so I might as well enjoy as long as I can before things change.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never shot a doe with a fawn but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Populationcontrol is a key ingredient in managing your property.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never shot a doe with a fawn but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Populationcontrol is a key ingredient in managing your property.
Exactly!!
Are all these hunters not willing to shoot does going to be upset when the state decides to control the population other ways?
Step up and do your share - this ain't a Disney movie.
Stop giving human characteristics to animals.

Step
Old 10-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

No, I am
I am and thats final, lol(sticking out tongue, lol).......

Rybohunter,when i said that they teach hunters not to shoot does with fawns, it meant fawns, not yearlings.....they also go into the deer management aspect of it too,but you know as well as i do , they're just saying a few words on the subject, definately not anything you can be taught in a day, but they're trying.....I'll take a doe in a heartbeat if they're with a yearling, just not a fawn....i can tell the difference.....I try to take at least one doe a year, just so I am doing my part...i think ifsomeone believes intheir heart that youngin will make it, then by all means pull the trigger....
Old 10-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

I'm in Illinois, I hunt Winnabago co. I try to shoot two does a year with the bow, becouse the county kills as many as 200 a year. some of them they just let lay. Like it or not we need to be taking does, fawns or not. Winnabago county is a CWD county, and if more guys were taking doeswe may not be in the spot that we are in. Just my thoughts

Quick Reply: Guys, I'm getting soft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.