Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 do small rubs equal small bucks? >

do small rubs equal small bucks?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do small rubs equal small bucks?

I have to agree with Todd, I have seen small bucks rub on big trees. I have witnessed this twice, but they didnt tear the tree up just rubbed it a little. I think if you find a large tree rubbed and really torn up that is the work of a nice deer. Oh and yes big bucks will rub a small tree as well.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Spike

Good information. I can't get any good tracks....all I know is that I've heard it running and it sounds bigger than anything I've heard in the woods in 20 years of hunting. It has a very deep snort too. I'm losing sleep thinking about it!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes
Old 10-13-2008, 12:35 PM

last week I shot a 7 pointer with my bow and all around where I was hunting there was some pretty nice rubs on trees about 8 inches around soI think a small buck can make a big rub if it wanted too and a big buck could make small rubs..... and Im hunting ohio too
Old 10-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

I go by the damage done and heighth rubbed. For instance somebody mentioned gouging vs shining a tree.....also limbs and stuff torn up and how far apart and how high theyre broken.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gregrn43

I have to agree with Todd, I have seen small bucks rub on big trees. I have witnessed this twice, but they didnt tear the tree up just rubbed it a little. I think if you find a large tree rubbed and really torn up that is the work of a nice deer. Oh and yes big bucks will rub a small tree as well.
I witnessed this yesterday while in the stand. A 5-inch spike came in and rubbed a 4-5 in diameter treeright before my own eyes, and i use tothinksmall buckswouldn't rub a larger tree. It was a tree that had been rubbed by a much larger 6 pt that i killed 2 weeks ago, and the rub was originally made by the 6 pt- i would think.Anyway, he rubbed it for 15 minutes straight with his tiny spikes.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

A big 8pt I shot a few years ago, rubbed 20+ different tree's as he walked towards my shooting lane. They ranged from the smallest saplings, to well grown tree's.

There is absolutely no way the size of a rub can dictate the size of the deer.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:34 PM

I've seen 4 pointers make rubs on 6 inch diamter trees, and all bucks make rubs on 1-2 inch trees, especially along their rub routes.