Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Summit Goliath Climber?

Old 10-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Summit Goliath Climber?

I plan on buying of these stands soon. I have never bought or used a climber before and need some information on it. How does it climb (like can you sit and climb, or do you have to hang on it like a pullup and lift legs or what im kinda confused). Doesit grip good on hardwoods or just pines. And any other information you would like to give me on this stand please. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:39 PM

Default RE: Summit Goliath Climber?

I have the summit viper and you just hook your feet in the bottom platform and sit on the bar in the front and pull the bottom up towards you and repeat untill you are up in the tree, if you buy one they give you an excellent dvd on how to use it.I was the same way, really confused, but they are great once you get the hang of it. A word of cautionI would practice with it BEFORE you go hunting because it does take a little practice getting set up and using. I think the book says you can go down to 8 inch diameter tree but make sure the bark is not flaking off, but i dont see a problem using it ona pine you just might have to trim some branches on your way up, I have a little folding saw and a pair of pruning shears i bought at the hardware store and just trim the branches away so the climber will move up the tree
Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOHUNTER1977

I have the summit viper and you just hook your feet in the bottom platform and sit on the bar in the front and pull the bottom up towards you and repeat untill you are up in the tree, if you buy one they give you an excellent dvd on how to use it.I was the same way, really confused, but they are great once you get the hang of it. A word of cautionI would practice with it BEFORE you go hunting because it does take a little practice getting set up and using. I think the book says you can go down to 8 inch diameter tree but make sure the bark is not flaking off, but i dont see a problem using it ona pine you just might have to trim some branches on your way up, I have a little folding saw and a pair of pruning shears i bought at the hardware store and just trim the branches away so the climber will move up the tree
thank you very much for the info. so when ure climbing you just sit on the "shooting rest" and pull legs up. my dad has a grizzly climber and he has to do like a pullup everytime he goes up and down the tree looks very difficult
Old 10-11-2008, 07:21 PM

Yeah thats right you just sit on the bar on the front of the seat portion, pull your legs up than move the seat portion up sit down and repeat believe me its alot easier once you see someone do it, good luck
Old 10-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Summit climbers are among the best made. It might come with a safety and "how to" video. Some do these days. Others have already described how to climb. Practice some before you try it in the woods. Here I go again - use a full body harness. Safety first !
Old 10-12-2008, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

I too have summit viper. I've used it on pine, oak, maple, and beech trees. I always secure the top section with the strap provided or use a bungie cordto keep it from slipping when using it on a smooth barked thee.

As others have said, watch the saftey video (twice!) and practice not only climing and decending, but actually setting up for hunting. It takes some practice to

1- walk-in and select the right tree
2- select what nock in the cable to use (as you climb, the tree narrows and you shouldn't adjust the cables while climbing)
3- attach the stand to the tree
4- attach pull rope to bow / gun
5- climb onto the stand and attach safety belt system to the tree
6- put backpack / fannypack on
7- ascend to desired height
8- set- up seat and secure top section to tree with strap or bungie cord
9- hang bow or gun holder and pull up weapon
10- unpack bino's, rangfinder, grunt call, bow release, etc
11 - settle in

practice, practice, practice. After three years with it, I can complete the above in about 5-7 minutes. I makes me apprecaite my ladder stand when i use it.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

i have one too, and i have no complaints about it or anything like that. its really safe secure and i just really like it. but i have one question, has anyone ever slipped down the tree? i feel like it is next to impossible to happen but i really bet it could under the right circumstances. sadly. so has anyone?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I slipped--fell hung-- upside down.
It was an older Summit(sabre)--with the angle iron rather than cables.
Honestly the stand was secure and rock solid while in hunting position.
I slipped while climbing down --took my weight off the seat/hand climber before the platform gripped the tree and went for a ride. I got pretty banged up from it and it could have been so much worse.I still say I completely trusted the stand and that it was my fault not the stands.
I gave up on th eclimbers for a few years but got to missing the mobility and setting up in new spots. So I just purchased a new Summit open faced climber--going to practice with it some and make siure Im comfortable with it before heading to the woods though
Old 10-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

k guys i just looked at the stand at my local sporting goods store and i saw this black like bunjee cord thing stretched across the bottom part of the stand. what is that for?
Old 10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Spike

It helps keep your feet in place while climbing.

Quick Reply: Summit Goliath Climber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.