Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 you get busted by a group of does... what do you do now? >

you get busted by a group of does... what do you do now?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

you get busted by a group of does... what do you do now?

Old 10-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default you get busted by a group of does... what do you do now?

i've wondered what people do when they get busted.

i just wait for another one to come through

a friend of mine that has hunted for 30+ told me when they catch his movement and start snorting he just snorts right back at them. anyone do this?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: you get busted by a group of does... what do you do now?

The area I hunt they are used to people and have become associated with human noises. I personally go on like they weren't even there. I have had bucks show up 15 minutes after getting in my stand.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

You ask the ? regarding a group of Does, not a single. I would say move; good chance the winds not right. You can bet a buck was " clocking " the group of does from afar.Glands in their feet and the scent it releases would be too much for that spot for at least a little while. Just my opinion.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep hunting cause I ain't going home unless it's dark.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:22 AM

climb down and choose a new tree in the morning. Last year I got busted at dark since the deer were still at my stand 20 minutes after pitch black, so I started climbing down and they snorted. The next day I climbed up the same tree and when the does came in the lead doe looked right up in my tree before shoe took another step.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:42 AM

You didnt' say what the does did when you got busted. If they just blow/snortdeer researcher and guide T.R. Michels says heDOES NOT blow/snort back, because a sort is a sing of alarm, instead (as long as he is not smelled by the deer) he grunts, tomake the deer think there is another deer nearby. A snort will further alarm the deer.

He says that deer seeign or hearing a sound that maysignal danger may snort or come in to investigate, but, that according to deer biologists,when a deer smells danger, the danger signal goes directly to a part of the brain that tells the the deer to either hide or run.

He says that if deer seehim, but cannot smell him, he holds still. When the der look awy, or drop their head as if to feed, he lowers himself to ground or gets behind cover. He even says that if a person can hold still for 3.5 minutes in the open, the dee will forget where and what you are.

I've tried his techniques - and they work...
Old 10-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Does often snort at each other and bucks that are being a pain in the arse. Any deer that can't see you doesn't have a clue what the ^&&**( is snorting about. You guys that "hang it up" are missing out on a day of hunting IMO. Especially during the last week of October thru Mid December.
I shot a 161 inch 10 point last year by staying. 6 does and this buckbusted me going up my ladder into my stand at daylight.They all headed for the brush and disappeared.About an hour later a doe came out,followed by him. I took care of her shadow. Would have never shot him if I would have went home.
Infact if I decide to stay until10:00 I stay up till that exact minute. I don't know how many times I have been busted if I would have stayed till I said I was going too...I would have killed it.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ElkNutz

Does often snort at each other and bucks that are being a pain in the arse. Any deer that can't see you doesn't have a clue what the ^&&**( is snorting about. You guys that "hang it up" are missing out on a day of hunting IMO. Especially during the last week of October thru Mid December.
I shot a 161 inch 10 point last year by staying. 6 does and this buckbusted me going up my ladder into my stand at daylight.They all headed for the brush and disappeared.About an hour later a doe came out,followed by him. I took care of her shadow. Would have never shot him if I would have went home.
Infact if I decide to stay until10:00 I stay up till that exact minute. I don't know how many times I have been busted if I would have stayed till I said I was going too...I would have killed it.

The area I hunt, the deer are not used to human intrusion as you stated in a previous post. When they bust you where I hunt, they head for the next watershed, not the next thicket. That's why I would move, but I would definitly not " call it a day ".
Old 10-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

I have been in a snorting/blowing match with does before and I don't remember being successful at convincing them thatI was another deer.I believe that I would have done better by just getting in my stand anyway or posting nearby. I think the grunt call response or just freezing for a while is a better method.

Quick Reply: you get busted by a group of does... what do you do now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.