Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Upper Peninsula Hunting

Old 10-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Upper Peninsula Hunting

ORIGINAL: glockman55

To show you how the buck pole picdoesn't do the rack size justice, here is a pic of the bigger one on the left..

GREAT BUCK, got one like this on Stonington back in 2005....
Old 10-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Good looking buck, haven't seen many like that, a few but not many. We used to hunt Wilsey bay at Wicklunds down at the end of the road. The property got divided up amongst family and we hunt the other side on Deerfield south of Dutchmans point. Are you anywhere near Hazens place (used to be an Oakland County Sherrif)? Did that buck come from back on the federal land behind your place. Seems like most brusiers we saw were in that area.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: glockman55

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Lots of bucks on the meat pole, but it doesn't look like therewere any antler restrictions in place.
Your point is? From left to right..8 pt. 4.5 yr. old, 10 pt. 2.5 yr., 3 pt. 1.5 yr., 7 pt. 1.5 yr., 8 pt. 1.5 yr., 6 pt. 1.5 yr., spike, ?..I would love to see antler restrictions in Mich. but they are legal. and for the record I don't have one hanging on that pole..I had tag soup last year. There's one on that pole that I would have shot..But, some of these are their first deer ever shot..andthis area has NODoe hunting.
In his post he said "additional antler restrictions", therefore it was implied there were restrictions in place. Looking at the picture it looked to me there were two or three spikes, instead of just one on the meatpole. Othewise I could care less what size deer you shoot.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rcgerchow

Good looking buck, haven't seen many like that, a few but not many. We used to hunt Wilsey bay at Wicklunds down at the end of the road. The property got divided up amongst family and we hunt the other side on Deerfield south of Dutchmans point. Are you anywhere near Hazens place (used to be an Oakland County Sherrif)? Did that buck come from back on the federal land behind your place. Seems like most brusiers we saw were in that area.
Hazen's place....how funny...that was my grandpa...he died on Friday. Leo Hazen, he was undersheriff in Oakland County Yes. I hunt behind my grandpa's place back on the federal land. I started going up there when I was 2 years old, still hard to believe that he really is gone....this year will be very strange to be back in the cedar swamps without being able to tell him what we see. Its been two years since I have seen anything big, mostly 3-6 pointers. My brother-in-law spend opening week up there each year. So you used to hunt Wicklunds huh? my grandpa used to hunt the federal 40 land locked between their property. But not they have just taken that 40 over as well, grandpa was the last one to be able to hunt that property. How do you know the wicklunds? Their house on the bay is looking pretty sad, ever since they moved Dick into Rapid River. WOW how strange to find someone who hunted so close to us.

That wasnt a picture of my buck, just someone else's post, but my buck from 2005 came from back deep in the federal and was heading south, shot him at 7:45 am on opening day...have him wall mounted in my house...dressed out at 180 lbs....

How is the hunting near Dutchman? Do you hunt federal...private? I found 30 acres for sale around there last year, I was thinking of buying it but it sold VERY fast.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Antler restrictions didnt start until this year, they must have one antler with 3 or more points on it, second license is restricted to 4 points or better.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

Antler restrictions didnt start until this year, they must have one antler with 3 or more points on it, second license is restricted to 4 points or better.
Antler restrictions were always in place, but only for the second deer, 4 points on one side for the restricted license....now its as you stated...I am excited about it...I only shot a few smaller bucks and that was usually for my grandpa so he had fresh venison, if I didnt have a doe tag...
Old 10-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

I knew your grandfather and am sorry to hear he is gone. Used to see him on his four wheeler heading back to the federal land. I could almost set my watch by what time he came and went as I sat in my blind. We started hunting with Louie Wicklund in 94. I just happened to run across an ad for deer hunting and called him. One of my hunting buddies always wanted to hunt the U.P. and my family was from the Lanse area and if we hunted up there I would be socializing while everyone else was hunting. Well I called Louie and we talked for over 2 hrs. After our 1st trip there he said he wouldn't have any other hunters except us. They have become like family to us and we have even spent some time up there during the summer. In fact the cabin we stay in was the old cabin your grandfather owned and Louie bought and moved it to the lake. He sold it a couple years back to a guy in Chicago and we now rent it from him. Louies Dad has had some medical problems and had to move in closer for medical and family help. Hey we are a bunch of old timers now, but if your up there during opening week stop buy for a cold one.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rcgerchow

I knew your grandfather and am sorry to hear he is gone. Used to see him on his four wheeler heading back to the federal land. I could almost set my watch by what time he came and went as I sat in my blind. We started hunting with Louie Wicklund in 94. I just happened to run across an ad for deer hunting and called him. One of my hunting buddies always wanted to hunt the U.P. and my family was from the Lanse area and if we hunted up there I would be socializing while everyone else was hunting. Well I called Louie and we talked for over 2 hrs. After our 1st trip there he said he wouldn't have any other hunters except us. They have become like family to us and we have even spent some time up there during the summer. In fact the cabin we stay in was the old cabin your grandfather owned and Louie bought and moved it to the lake. He sold it a couple years back to a guy in Chicago and we now rent it from him. Louies Dad has had some medical problems and had to move in closer for medical and family help. Hey we are a bunch of old timers now, but if your up there during opening week stop buy for a cold one.
WOW...what a small world...thank you for your kind words...he was a GREAT man...grandpa was very predictable...its interesting to hear that you could "clock" him.....so you rent the old cabin? My bedroom was the one off of the living room. I spent many of summers (fishing), spring (smelt dipping) andnovembers (hunting) in that cabin.... My grandfather gave the cabin to Louie, in trade for Louie to paint their new house. I loved that cabin, it was a sight to see when the moved that thing from Wilsey Bay to Little Bay. WOW I still cant believe what a coincidence this is...Is the cabin still bluey gray in color?

Yes Louies Dad (Dick) is not doing great, Louies Wife came to Grandpa's funeral, they are good people!

Speaking of cold ones...do you ever go to the Hunters ball? We didnt used to go, but have gone the past 3 or 4 years. So when does your crew get up there for the season? We can for sure stop by for a cold one....
Old 10-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Cabin is still a blue grey color. We used to do the Hunters ball back when Louie owned Boondockers, but haven't done it for awhile. Louie likes to come down to the cabin and eat dinner with us (I cook) and then have some beers yah know. This year we will get in Thursday morning the 13th and set up blinds and finish up Friday. We will probably head back on the 19th. One of group had to start a new job this year and doesn't have a ton of vacation time. I still work and 1 guy is retired and the other is semi retired. Diane (Louieswife)is just a great lady, she came to dinner when we first started at the cabin, She couldn't believe it we had a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings. That was back when we used to bowhunt for 3-4 days before gun season. Hope you can stop by, this has been real interesting posting back and forth with you. Good luck this season and hope yah get a Booner eh. We got some great stories from years past and about the only time they are told is at deer camp, so come on by have a beer and hear some stories that will make you laugh till you cry.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

yes it was interesting posting back and forth....sounds like you are going to be up there about the same time we are, we are driving up after work on Thursday (13th) and prep the blinds on Friday. Dont have a plan yet of when we go home, either until we both get a buck or or wife's start getting restless with our kids...ha! Good luck to you this year too! When I was driving around last weekend, I saw a really nice buck off of New Wilsey Bay Lane, it was back on a fence line following some young deer...anyways thanks for the posts...and we will try to stop by during the week...

nice to have met you

Tom

Quick Reply: Upper Peninsula Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.