Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Upper Peninsula Hunting

Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Upper Peninsula Hunting

I was just in the UP last weekend and saw many bucks, mostly 3 and 4 pointers. As always though I am looking forward to getting up to the UP this year for the Rifle Season. My grandfather just passed away 6 days ago and I can attribute my joy of the outdoors mostly to him. Therefore, this year it will be very different to be in the woods without him to be able to go back to deer camp and tell him about what we all saw. I will miss you grandpa. Anyways....

To all you Michigan Hunters, this year has many changes for us. No baiting on the Lower Peninsula, and additional antler restrictions in the Upper Peninsula. Do you feel that we are going to have a productive year? Do you think the MDNR has a good plan? poor plan? or even a plan at all?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Upper Peninsula Hunting

I hunt the U.P. in rifle season as well. I have yet to get up there to do any scouting, maybe next week. I think any year in Deer camp is a good one. We did real good last year, Took seven bucks in our group of 11 guys. As for the Baiting ban, It has a lot of hunters upset. good, bad, right or wrong choice? Who knows. Time will tell. Hope you have a great year in da woods. Where about do you hunt? We hunt by School craft and Alger counties.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lots of bucks on the meat pole, but it doesn't look like therewere any antler restrictions in place.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am extremely excited about the antler restrictions. It's about damn time they did something. Michigan is bordered by three of best states in the country for bucks, but yet they refuse to take any direction from out of state sources. The antler restrictions are just a small fraction of the puzzle, but it is a start. IMO, for the antler restrictions to work, we need to start registering deer. There is no way to keep tabs on the deer being shot otherwise. Doe harvest also needs to be increased.

As far as this year goes, I think it will be the same as any other year, as far as buck sightings go, but in the coming years, antler quality should improve.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

I believe the UP will turn into the "place to be" for deer hunting in a couple of years. The DNR has a long ways to go in management practices, but this is a good start. I hope that we stay cwd free down here in the lower half, and that the DNR start to implement some sort of management in our area.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Lots of bucks on the meat pole, but it doesn't look like therewere any antler restrictions in place.
Your point is? From left to right..8 pt. 4.5 yr. old, 10 pt. 2.5 yr., 3 pt. 1.5 yr., 7 pt. 1.5 yr., 8 pt. 1.5 yr., 6 pt. 1.5 yr., spike, ?..I would love to see antler restrictions in Mich. but they are legal. and for the record I don't have one hanging on that pole..I had tag soup last year. There's one on that pole that I would have shot..But, some of these are their first deer ever shot..andthis area has NODoe hunting.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

To show you how the buck pole picdoesn't do the rack size justice, here is a pic of the bigger one on the left..
Old 10-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Sure hope we have a good season in the U.P., we been hunting the Stonington area for 15 years now and have taken some decent bucks and a lot of does. Hey stoningtonwhite tail just kind of weird to see someone mention Stonington and then to see you are from Howell. Howell area is where I bowhunt. Good luck to ya this coming season.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rcgerchow

Sure hope we have a good season in the U.P., we been hunting the Stonington area for 15 years now and have taken some decent bucks and a lot of does. Hey stoningtonwhite tail just kind of weird to see someone mention Stonington and then to see you are from Howell. Howell area is where I bowhunt. Good luck to ya this coming season.
Hey rcgerchow

good to see that you have something in common. My grandfather bought property at the tip of Stonington in the 40's he hunted on the point since then, I started hunting there in the 90's and will be my 18th year there. We have property right on Wilsey Bay. I live on Howell and do my Bow Hunting here. I havent been out yet, but thats because my grandpa just died and was dealing with all of that, I hope to get out not this weekend but next. I hunt up in Oak Grove State Game Area. Anyways good to hear from you and good luck in the woods this year!!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: glockman55

I hunt the U.P. in rifle season as well. I have yet to get up there to do any scouting, maybe next week. I think any year in Deer camp is a good one. We did real good last year, Took seven bucks in our group of 11 guys. As for the Baiting ban, It has a lot of hunters upset. good, bad, right or wrong choice? Who knows. Time will tell. Hope you have a great year in da woods. Where about do you hunt? We hunt by School craft and Alger counties.
We hunt in Delta County at the tip of Stonington Peninsula. Before you get to Rapid River turn off on 513 highway. GREAT HUNTING ON THE POINT!!!!

Hope you have a great year in the woods as well...

Quick Reply: Upper Peninsula Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.