Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Attention Ohio Hunters

Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Attention Ohio Hunters

In 2010, there is a new law being proposed for deer hunters. It says that we will have to check in our deer by the internet. NOW unless, you get a printoff that you have to take and show the meat processers, and taxidermist that shows what kind of deer it was, this law will never work. People would lie about the deer they shoot or they wouldn't check it in. I hope we can vote for this law unless it doesn't get thrown out, and we need to vote against it. Again, unless you get a printoff that you have to take in to show what kind of deer it is, this law will never work, and it would destroy hunting in Ohio. I hope it doesn't come to this.[:@]
Old 10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Attention Ohio Hunters

would that affect me a guy who hunts on private land because i dont have to buy a tag or a license of any kind because i hunt my dads farm and all i have to do is make my own tag with address of kill, date, and name
Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Don't know all the details in it. Just heard that the Ohio government purposed this law for 2010 that we might have to check in deer from the internet.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Again, unless you get a printoff that you have to take in to show what kind of deer it is, this law will never work, and it would destroy hunting in Ohio
Don't know all the details in it.
Clearly not. It's not that big of deal at all. Many states already use this system and it works well. It's not without flaws, but certainly won't "destoy hunting in Ohio". And if I'm not mistaken, it's not an option. It will happen.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will be no different than it is now. You will get a tag # when you PHONE or check them in on the internet. The proposal also says phone.

This is not a new concept and will work smoothly.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Only thing i wonder about is who will say how the deer is taken? seems it will make it easier for a poacherto use a gun in archery season.. with no one being the wiser.. easier for poacher to get away with it.. but then.. atleast the dnr will have a better record of downed deer..
but hey..there will still be check stations guys.. just cause the new option is there..dont mean you will have to use it..right?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

seems it will make it easier for a poacherto use a gun in archery season.
Honestly, it would be quite easy now as well. Have you ever seen the 16 year old teenage girl checking deer?
Dishonest people are dishonest. Honest people are honest. That's like saying no one should own guns because some poeple will use them in crimes.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's pretty clear that the state doesn't care how the deer is taken. They just care that the license has been purchased and that the deer is off the highway.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

That's like saying no one should own guns because some poeple will use them in crimes.
LOL how do you make that conection? I was merely pointing out that illegally taken deer.. will be easier for poachers to get away with it.... its not at all like saying no one should have a gun due to someone will use it in a crime!! Its like saying.. Joe blow.. will get check his poached deer..cause he isnt affraid of being questioned at a check station.. and i did state atleast the dnr would have a better record of downed deer..
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM

I'm all for it. You can't make laws because someone is going to break it. There are a ton of deer being poached right now. Lawbreakers will be lawbreakers.

There will still be check stations too as I understand it. It's just you will have a choice if you want to check it in online. There are many more positives than negatives. For example if you shoot a deer late in the day, don't find it until after check stations are closed and then have to butcher it right away because it is warm outside. Right now you couldn't butcher it because the head needs to be attached to the body in order to check it in the next day.

A couple years ago I shot a doe at 4:55pm on the last day of the season. By the time we tracked her and got her to the house it was 7:30pm. The rules currently state that you have to check a deer on the last day of the season by 8pm. There was only one check station in the county that was open until 8pm on a Sunday night and we had to really hustle to get there before it closed. A real pain.

Quick Reply: Attention Ohio Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.