HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What about Forestry? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/266915-what-about-forestry.html)

flyfishpj 10-07-2008 03:57 PM

What about Forestry?

So I posted earlier about Wildlife Biology but you all basically said to think about it. So what about Forestry? I was thinking about that too, and Paul Smith's has a great program. I think it would be awesome. Any of ya'll have input?

timbercruiser 10-07-2008 09:28 PM

RE: What about Forestry?

Forestry is agreat line of work, if you can get it. As most of the large land owning paper companies have sold off the bulk of their timberlands there are more foresters looking for a job than there are available in the southeast. I enjoy it, been doing it for about 35 years, but unless you can get the right job (have contacts) the pay isn't the greatest for the beginner. I've read your other post, and jobsthat areenvironmentalrelated or Bio-Fuels are good now.

vabyrd 10-07-2008 09:46 PM

My father-in-law retired from the US Forest Service after 33 years. He was in timber management. Unfortunatley alot of the jobs are not being filled these days. I know the environmental crowd reaked havoc in the 90's on timbersales. At one time they were the only self sufficiant government agency out there. He says if you dont manage the timber, it will manage itself naturally (forest fires). So why let it go to waste. He always felt likehe was one of the "original" tree huggers. Took alot of pride in his work.One of his favorite jobs was fire management. Spent a lot of time out westfighting fires. Always said the smoke jumpers were some of thecoolest cats on the planet. Adrinalin junkies. I'll tellyou one thing. I've never seen someone so in tune with the woods. Hecan spot deer like no one I've ever seen. You wont get rich, but who cares when your office is 15,000 acres. With the world turning "green" I think this will still be an important field.

Warren 10-08-2008 09:35 AM

Flyfishpj;
I'm a Paul Smith's College graduate (1971-1973).
Back then it had a 2 year forestry degree program.
It was a great experience for me, it gave me the confidence I neededand kept me out of Vietnam.
I finished the 2 year program and really liked the surveying classand it sparked my interest in another career field so I continued onto another college and got a BS and MS in Civil Engineering.
Get a degree in something you enjoy learning.
My son got his BS degree in Marine Science in S.C.. It was hard work but it was his passionand he loves it. Jobs are hard to find but he stuck with it and is now a Marine Tech on a research vessel out of Monterey, Ca.
A college degree does not guarantee you a good job but it will open up many opportunites to you that wouldn't be available to you.

Bob H in NH 10-08-2008 11:17 AM

You're going to get the same feedback as last time: need lots of school, hard to find a job, starting $ will be low

This will go for all of the wildlife, animal, outdoor jobs.

Not to say you shouldn't do it, just go in with your eyes open