Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 k i'm pretty sure it is rut around here now? >

k i'm pretty sure it is rut around here now?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

k i'm pretty sure it is rut around here now?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: k i'm pretty sure it is rut around here now?

Also, if you don't actually see the bucks chasing does, look for tracks. If you see an increased number of tracks, especially ones that signal running deer all over the place, more than likely that will be bucks chasing does.Sometimes even during the rut you may not see bucks chasing does in daylight hours. Very warm weather may keep daylight activity down to a minimum and most of the activity, if not all, will take place at night. As the rut gets closer, you should see more buck activity. The bucks will become more active during daylight hours, if not too pressured, closer to the end of October and the beginning of November. The pre rutperiod is actually a better time to see active bucks than thepeak rut itself.There are some exceptions around the country, but this is the norm. One exception isonly 90 to 100 miles from where I hunt.Some Parishes in NE LA. close tothe Miss. River don't see significant buck movement until December. Thefirst rut there doesn't usually take place until late Dec. or early Jan. A secondary rut can take place in late Jan. or possibly into Feb. Some of the bucks on my place have already shed their antlers by the time some of these bucks are going into rut, and it's only 90-100 miles away!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

The bucks on my place are starting to scrape a little bit not much though. I haven't seen really any buck movement during the daylight hours yet. Bucks on my place are still nocturnal for the most part. I have killed a couple of does already and seen a couple of bucks but it was in the very early AM with almost no usuable light and that buck was going to bed up.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Starting to see scrapes and rub lines in the usuall spots, won't be long.......Happy Fall.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

So when is the rut this year, now i know per deer&deer hunting they say thesecond full moon after the Autumnal Equinox which puts us at 11/13 which is a little later than what I normally see. What you guys think.

FYI this is for the northern area of the country, I think they say later for the south.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:39 PM

It could be the phases of the moon?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are not rutting yet. across the midwest you still have a good three weeks to a month before the first does come into estrus. You will know when you see bucks searching and chasing does throughout the whole day. Their necks will swell up and they become more aggressive. Good luck this season
Old 10-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I seriously doubt they've really started "rutting" yet. Maybe some scrapes here and there, but nothing more.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Spike

This happens this time every year ..... bucks are spotted sparing with one another, some scrapes made be made, more & more rubs as well & perhaps in a few weeks, some smaller bucks will be checking out a few does. The Rut won't take place until early November, it's just that some movements will make you THINK it's happening sooner is all.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Northern Va. they are rubbing and just startingtobang horns. My kidswatched four bucks do a versonof smackdown-lite this evening. I figure we are 4-5 weeks away from the rut.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Far from rutting yet.....why is it that when ever someone gets a buck on cam in Oct and its acting all goofy they think the rut is on????? [&:]

Quick Reply: k i'm pretty sure it is rut around here now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.