Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Locking your ladder treestand? >

Locking your ladder treestand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Locking your ladder treestand?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only the best hardened cahins are a problem for large bolt cutters. However, not such a problem for a for battery powered grinder with a diamond cutter blade. If they wnat the stand ... its gone !! Well, maybe Sangster has a solution ... however not sure I can find a lock to fit ! Even if I could, I doubt I would be man enough to lift the key !?!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Locks, chains, and cables are just deterrents. No thief wants to have to carry a bolt cutter around the woods, particularly on public land where there might be witnesses-- it would certainly look suspicious. I use those coated steel cables from Lowe's (have to buy the lock separate) because they are long enough to fit through the seating area and one or two of the ladder sections, just to make things difficult.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Murdy
Locks, chains, and cables are just deterrents. No thief wants to have to carry a bolt cutter around the woods, particularly on public land where there might be witnesses-- it would certainly look suspicious. I use those coated steel cables from Lowe's (have to buy the lock separate) because they are long enough to fit through the seating area and one or two of the ladder sections, just to make things difficult.
you can cut steel cable with a good pair of wire cutters.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doesn't this website have Moderators or care about all the SPAM like these four in a row that are making the site almost impossible to read any more? I keep sending SPAM messages on all this crappola and nothing is done. There are a bunch of threads right now where these Spamers have made 3 or more posts in a row and if it doesn't stop soon I will abondon this website because it's getting impossible to follow along on many threads because of it. Am I the only one who feels this way? Every one of this guy's 63 posts is the same BS that nobody can read and then there are the others that are in English and are pure BS Spam!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 09-08-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
you can cut steel cable with a good pair of wire cutters.
I suppose you could. I was specifically talking about this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_73467-352-72...ble&facetInfo=
Like I said, it's about deterrence, not making it bullet proof. Anything can be cut with the right equipment. Cost is also a factor. If you are setting up several stands, you need something cost effective.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

I have literally put up thousands of stands. There was a time when we used to lock the majority of them. To no avail, because as has been stated over and over, it only keeps the semi-honest, honest. I have had huge platform ladders stolen, and Box blinds, that require 2 people to carry them out. Lock-ons, with the stick removed, (they simply bring their own stick) If they want it they will get it.

If you know it may be a problem area, don't leave them out year round. Put them up a short time before you will be hunting them. I know it can be a pain in the rear, but one thing you could do, is come in early in the summer. Where you know you want a stand, set one up, do all the trim work you need to do, then remove it until just before season. That way all your work is done, as far as any heavy trimming you may need to do. A stand can be set-up quickly and quietly if you know what you are doing.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Topgun,,, I answered this in your other thread.. You have no idea how much time we spend deleting and banning these spammers. The site owners have stated they are going to implement a program to help stop this. We can only wait. I have been on this site for 13 years, and delt with many issues over the years. I don't think I'm running off because a bunch of spammers are trying to get their licks in. I am sorry it bothers you and the other users so much. I really do understand. Think, if you will, how much more I hate it. When I come here wanting to post and help someone in search of advice, and all I have time for is dealing with these bums. ))
Old 09-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the very same stand...A Big Game Partner Plus and I just bought a nice heavy duty chain and put it thru the frame and locked it...and its still there!I also use the rubber coated spring/retrackable type steel wired bicycle cables and they work great also.

Yeah...I know if someone wants to steal something they will try their best and get it in the end....but by God their going to have to work for it and its not going to be easy if I can help it? LOL

I lock all my trail camera's too....sure its just a silly old plastic latch with a steel lock thru it...but again I'm not going to make life easy for them!
Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Battery powered reiprocating saws with the right blades make quick work out of everything that has been listed here. We use it to take down stands that have been left on WMA's weeks and months after the deer hunting seasons are over when we run across them. Best just to take them with you.