Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October >

ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October

Old 10-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October

I have my own formula. Accordingly, if your not in the woods every possible minute, Oct.29 thru 31, shame on you!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

is that pre rut?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

i cant understand the charts.

why would the deer move more during day if they had all night to move during a full moon?

it would make more sense to me that they move more during the day on a new moon because they cant see at night??
The deer get their belly full earlier, they see better with a full moon,and then bed down earlier. That move their feeding cycle back a couple of hours, so they start feeding earlier.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Different charts are based on different theories. See Field & Stream chart below...

They don't agree at all.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM

i will be hunting oct. 13th-16th i dont care if it says good or not, i am going cause i will be on a hunting trip, but it sure does look good to see the days i am hunting, it says are good.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Fork Horn

The original chart seems to completely contradict every chart I've ever seen. I agree with others in that I believe the moon has some affect, but there are many other factors.

I prefer to hunt with as little moon as possible. During the full moon, I see activity, but much earlier and later than with a new moon. Although, I believe that the late-morning to early-afternoon times during a full moon can be productive if you have a food or water source fairly close to a bedding area.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:23 AM

I'm not sure about these charts (although I refer to them) but I am off that same week for vacation. All the info I have gathered over the last two years point to this being the most active part of the rut in my area.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Did Field and Stream put outthe top 10 days to huntthis year listing?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 PM

I went by ESPN's chart last year and found it completely inaccurate. I hunted many many days last year and didn't think that chart was good at all. I even used my cameras and compared the pics to the chart. I will take alook at the field and stream chart this year.

I've had many people tell me, "deer are just like people, they move whenever they feel like it." As I hunt more and more, that seems to be true. People say during this time of year when it is hot, the deer are moving in the morning and just before dark. The ESPN chart said Sunday is almost the worst day of the month to hunt and the deer should be moving from 5:40 - 6:22. I saw deer moving at 2:30 that day and didn't see ANY deer once I got in the stand at 5:00.

On Oct. 1, the chart says the best times are 2 - 3pm and 1:40 - 3:00am. I'm pretty sure if I go check my camera, I don't have ANY pictures during either of these times. As a matter of fact, I have a 10pt. on camera on the first and it was between 9 and 10pm.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 PM

Where did you find the chart on the field and stream website?

Quick Reply: ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.