HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   enough to make a grown man cry... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/266510-enough-make-grown-man-cry.html)

lucky_shot 10-05-2008 10:32 AM

enough to make a grown man cry...

Friday morning: 2 does snuck up behind me directly down wind from my stand. one snorted and ran the other young doe stood there and tried to spot me. after 5 minutes of trying to turn around to get a shot she walked behind me and continued up the hill.

Friday evening (new location): set my outhouse blind up about 2pm in some hardwoods. on the other side of the creek i saw 3 does that never paid any attention to me but still to far for a shot. they went up aways and crossed the mouth of the lake.

Saturday morning: 3 does came in from the back side and caught me reaching for my xbow, snorted and headed for the hills.

Saturday evening: saw 1 doe cross the mouth of the lake again.

Sunday morning(here is the crying part): i got in my blind kinda late this morning. i unzipped my door set my xbow inside and climbed in. i put my gloves and mask on and started to take my coat off when i noticed movement out of my left window that was open about 3". i saw 3 of the biggest bucks less than 20 yards from where i sat. when they headed behind/left of the blind i unzipped the window and raised the xbow. if it aint my luck when i raised the bow i hit the side of the blind and spooked them. they went up the creek about 40 yards and started looking for me, then crossed the creek and never looked back. now looking back i wish i would have taken the 40yd shot, better luck next weekend i guess.

BigKoz 10-05-2008 10:44 AM

RE: enough to make a grown man cry...

I did the same thing last year. I was so pissed off at my self that I waited about 20 minutes and was going to go in. I unzipped the blind stepped out and the smaller of the 2 bucks that I had spooked a 6 point was standing 20 yards away from the back of my blind watching me. All I could do was stand still in utter disbelief of my stupidity.

Mottz 10-05-2008 11:29 AM

That is the one downfall of using a blind. I had a doe coming right to me and when I went to get repositioned for a shot, I made a little noise rustling the grass below me. She didn't really spook, but she changed her path and went caddy-corner away from me.

TristateHunter.com 10-05-2008 07:01 PM

I know its more to carry in.. but i put a blanket down so the grass or twigs depending on where i set it up, is silenced... my kid aka little huntin buddy, cant sit still so i had to do something lol

DoctorDeath 10-05-2008 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: lucky_shot

Friday morning: 2 does snuck up behind me directly down wind from my stand. one snorted and ran the other young doe stood there and tried to spot me. after 5 minutes of trying to turn around to get a shot she walked behind me and continued up the hill.

Friday evening (new location): set my outhouse blind up about 2pm in some hardwoods. on the other side of the creek i saw 3 does that never paid any attention to me but still to far for a shot. they went up aways and crossed the mouth of the lake.

Saturday morning: 3 does came in from the back side and caught me reaching for my xbow, snorted and headed for the hills.

Saturday evening: saw 1 doe cross the mouth of the lake again.

Sunday morning(here is the crying part): i got in my blind kinda late this morning. i unzipped my door set my xbow inside and climbed in. i put my gloves and mask on and started to take my coat off when i noticed movement out of my left window that was open about 3". i saw 3 of the biggest bucks less than 20 yards from where i sat. when they headed behind/left of the blind i unzipped the window and raised the xbow. if it aint my luck when i raised the bow i hit the side of the blind and spooked them. they went up the creek about 40 yards and started looking for me, then crossed the creek and never looked back. now looking back i wish i would have taken the 40yd shot, better luck next weekend i guess.

Thats why its called "hunting" ...its a tuff pill to swollow but if it were easy EVERYONE would be doing it ...Im sure you learned something from all these close encounters ...dont let it get you down we ALL go through them!

dd

1shotkill1993 10-05-2008 08:09 PM

sounds like me man i always have bad luck...knock...knock....knock

greenhead911 10-05-2008 08:19 PM

tell me about it opening day i had 2 does at 35 yard and pasted the shot because my son had a baseball game at 11 oclock i thought i got all week off they will be back but just my luck i didnt see another shootable deer all week :(

jrbsr 10-05-2008 08:33 PM

I know how you feel.

But hey Look Up, at least you are seeing deer.

Good Luck tomorow.

fastetti 10-06-2008 09:18 AM

I hear you man,two years ago I went 5 days in gun seasonwithout seeing a mature deer, doe or buck. Last day of the hunt I was in my box blind when I heard a twig snap and turn my head and not 15 yards behind are 3 mature does. No chance to get my gun up and they busted me after about 3 minutes of stomping and blowing. Freezer went empty with Michigan deer that year. Thats hunting for ya!