Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Perfect scent and scent elimination >

Perfect scent and scent elimination

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Perfect scent and scent elimination

Old 10-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Perfect scent and scent elimination

For you guys that already know these tricks move on, but for those that dont.
One of the best way for scent elimination is get to camp the night before and store your hunting clothes in a big plastic bag and cut cedar limbs or any limbs off native trees in your area and stuff in the plastic bags with your hunting clothes,the more leaves the better,and everytime you get back to camp take your clothes off and place back in the bag untill the next evening or morning hunt.
also if anyone kills a deer in camp take the urine, doesnt matter if its buck or doe and pour the urine on your boots and even do scent drags with it to your stand, also cut the tarsal glands off the deers legs and tie them on your boot or in tree limbs next to you or do scent drags around or to your stand.
Just a trick weve been doing for yeeeeeeeears!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Perfect scent and scent elimination

I use HS Scent wafers in Fresh Earth Scent and place pine limbs in with them in my rubbermaid bins that I keep ALL of my patterns in for the various seasons and climates (Northwest and Southeast Wisconsin). My uncle also swears by the pi$$ idea mentioned.He funnels it into squirt a bottle.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

HS Scent Wafers = 2nd to none
Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

For you guys that already know these tricks move on, but for those that dont.
One of the best way for scent elimination is get to camp the night before and store your hunting clothes in a big plastic bag and cut cedar limbs or any limbs off native trees in your area and stuff in the plastic bags with your hunting clothes,the more leaves the better, and everytime you get back to camp take your clothes off and place back in the bag untill the next evening or morning hunt.
also if anyone kills a deer in camp take the urine, doesnt matter if its buck or doe and pour the urine on your boots and even do scent drags with it to your stand, also cut the tarsal glands off the deers legs and tie them on your boot or in tree limbs next to you or do scent drags around or to your stand.
Just a trick weve been doing for yeeeeeeeears!
Yep!.................I have been rolling up the clothes I'm going to hunt in with pieces of Lighter Pine....In the past I have used Siberian Pine Oil........75% of my hunting is in Pine Forrest and Palmettos.....
Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Same here, i have even used dirt and broken up apples too
Old 10-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can store all the hunting clothes in plastic containers all you want but you must take it a step further. You can feel good about yourself because your boots, jacket etc all smell natural but a deer will bust you for fun if you leave your scent in the woods. The biggest advantage you can give any deer is not wearing gloves, even in warm weather, and touching branches, leaves etc with your nasty, human, oily hands. This also applies to putting on boots etc. Why try to be scent free and then leave all your scent on your boots? Wearing light weight gloves goes a long way.

I also don't feel a lot of hunters appreciate the deer's sense of smell. He may hear you and not flee. He may see you and not flee. But if he smells you before you see him - you lose - every time.

I appeciate what a lot of hunters try to do to be as scent free as possible. But if you don't understand exactly what your up against with the deer's ability to smell you, you're making a crucial mistake.

Wrappingyour hunting jacketaround a deer that is hanging can be helpful as well.

Nothing against the subject of this post, but I don't think there's ever a perfect scent elimination.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Spike

I agree with just about everything everyone has said, scent wafers, pine branches, etc. But I agree with JimmyS. Gloves are one of the most important things you can put on. Here a couple other things you can consider, I drive to my hunting spot everyday when I hunt and don't have a camp so some of this may not apply to all.One thing is to gas upyour rigthe daybefore, I see hunters everydaydressed in full gearpumping gas, you can't get ridof gassmell from your hands. Also Iwash not only my hunting clothes in scentfree wash but also asetofclothes that Iwear to thewoods and I change into my hunting clothes on the side of the road. As soon as I get back tothe truck I take off my huntingclothes. I also use Wildlife ResearchFresh Earth cover scent.I won't go into further detail, but I know my scent elimination/cover scent routine worksbecause I shot a doe lastwed.@ 30 yds. about 10 min later a doe thatwaswith her came back and bedded down behind me @5 yds.from my 16' ladder stand. She never winded me and didn't leave until I moved to getdown from my stand an hour later.