Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wow. Is this happening?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Spike

Default Wow. Is this happening?

Well long story short. ive been looking forward to bow hunting since jan 14, day after season ended, and i was playing in my football game, and dislocated my shoulder, doc said i might need surgery, but im gonna play the rest of season... he said theres no way im pullin back a bow no matter how low the poundage is... this is sooo devistating to me. My dad might get a cross bow, does anyone know what the details are of being able to use one?, will i be able too with my handicap?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wow. Is this happening?

I think you will be as long as you can hold it up and keep it steady. you can get one with a hand crank to draw it back. here in kansas when they werent legel to the general public you had to have a letter from your doctor saying that you had a handicap.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

yea, same in PA, get a letter from the doc, and you can get a couple different cockers for lack of a better word. I used to have one when I was to young to pull a crossbow by myself.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Spike

well the motion is getting better... but i think this weekend im gonna give it a whirl with the tomkat, call me stupid but huntin is my obsession... i was thinking tho, early in the season, only gonna shoot a big bruiser for now, being very selective, so hopefully i will only have to pull my bow back 1 time max.... but its all about being out back in the woods again, and in the good lords atmosphere where i belong!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you dislocated your shoulder and yet you can finish the season then something isnt adding up right... You probably mean you seperated your shoulder which is very painful but if you can take the pain you will be just fine.. In my senior year I had a grade 2 seperation of my right shoulder.. I finished the seasons last 6 games and by the end i decided to not get surgery.. Played in my all-star game the next year in august, the first play i knocked a kid out on the kickoff and reinjured the same shoulder( it never properly healed).. i finished the rest of the game and it didnt keep me from rushing for 5 TD's on 9 carries with 158 yards.. but it sure did hurt.. I got surgery a few months later during my freshmen year of college football..
Old 10-10-2008, 12:32 PM

if it turns out you can't pull a normal bow back, get a note from your doctor saying that due to your injury you can no longer draw a compound bow within legal hunting poundages and then get ahold of the dnr and you can get a crossbow permit, you have to have some sort of handicap or disability, such as a bum shoulder or maybe even bad arthritis.