Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

? about UV Brighteners

Old 09-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default ? about UV Brighteners

Hello everyone, new here and had a question regarding UV Brighteners in my clothes. I tested my clothes last nite with a black light and I didnt get the blue hue that they say deer can see when your clothes have UV Brighteners in them, so that made me feel good. But here is where I get concerned, my gloves, hats, masks, collars of some shirts, and some stiching on jackets and pants have an orange hue to them. Not all my clothes are like this either, but all were washed in the same washer with the same detergent, Knight & Hales Fresh Earth Detergent. Should I be worried about this orange hue??? Could it be rust in my water that is showing up? Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:16 AM

Default RE: ? about UV Brighteners

If you're worried, you might want to get a bottle of the Atsko UV-Killer. They sell it at Wallyworld. When I buy something new (new shirt, new pants, etc.) I'll usually give it a good dose of the stuff, let it dry completely, then wash it in with a scent-killing detergent. I had a brand-new shirt on two weekends ago and even though I was in a ground blind, portions of me were still visible through the windows in it... and I hade 7 does walk right by me at less than 10 yards.
I think the key is the proper detergent to control scent more than the UV brighteners in the clothing. I read an article a year or two ago that says most (even the crappy stuff they sell at Wallyworld) camo intended for hunting is made with fabric dyes that have UV inhibitors in them. YMMV, however.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MadOtis

If you're worried, you might want to get a bottle of the Atsko UV-Killer. They sell it at Wallyworld. When I buy something new (new shirt, new pants, etc.) I'll usually give it a good dose of the stuff, let it dry completely, then wash it in with a scent-killing detergent. I had a brand-new shirt on two weekends ago and even though I was in a ground blind, portions of me were still visible through the windows in it... and I hade 7 does walk right by me at less than 10 yards.
I think the key is the proper detergent to control scent more than the UV brighteners in the clothing. I read an article a year or two ago that says most (even the crappy stuff they sell at Wallyworld) camo intended for hunting is made with fabric dyes that have UV inhibitors in them. YMMV, however.
The directions on Atsko UV Killer plainly say to wash the garment in a detergent free of UV brighteners(preferably theirs) before using the UV killer to remove any brighteners. UV killer works well, but you have to use it properly. I would be very surprised if any camo sold lately didn't have brighteners applied to them, all of the Chinese made stuff does.A shirt I bought at Bass Pro Shops recently glowed like neon when tested, washing it in Sportwash took them out nicely with no further treatment needed.

Orange is a fairly common color in nature, if it bothers you then use the UV killer on them as previously suggested. Not all colors flouresce blue, some appear the same color only brighter(blaze for example).
Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

My blaze orange vest I use for gun season didnt show up bright orange under the light nor did it come up with a blue color to it either. I was talking with a fellow hunter and he pointed out that it could be lent from the dryer that got onto my gloves and things. Im going to get some UV Killer this week and treat all my clothes. I've always washed my clothes in detergent with no UV Brighteners so that wouldnt be the problem. Hopefully the orange hue will go away when I use the UV Killer. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

The directions on Atsko UV Killer plainly say to wash the garment in a detergent free of UV brighteners(preferably theirs) before using the UV killer to remove any brighteners. UV killer works well, but you have to use it properly. I would be very surprised if any camo sold lately didn't have brighteners applied to them, all of the Chinese made stuff does. A shirt I bought at Bass Pro Shops recently glowed like neon when tested, washing it in Sportwash took them out nicely with no further treatment needed.

Orange is a fairly common color in nature, if it bothers you then use the UV killer on them as previously suggested. Not all colors flouresce blue, some appear the same color only brighter(blaze for example).
Sportwash is all I use... sorry, forgot to mention that point. And, they do get washed first before applying and again afterwards; another point I took for granted. Sorry if I offended.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MadOtis

Sportwash is all I use... sorry, forgot to mention that point. And, they do get washed first before applying and again afterwards; another point I took for granted. Sorry if I offended.
None taken brother, just making sure you weren't wasting your time.

The Outdoorsman: Lint is a possiblity, especially if it's fairly evenly distributed over the garment, but the K&Hs should have removed all of the brighteners. Just being free of brighteners doesn't necessarily mean that the product removes them though, Sportwash's label specifically says that it removes them.I prime my washer with a double load of Sportwash in hot water and baking soda to clean the drum before I wash my cammies.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

I made the mistake of not buying sportwash because I wanted the fresh earth smell and couldnt find K&H's detergent so I bought Scent Killers Fresh Earth detergent. Which has no UV Brighteners. Dont really want to waste a brand new bottle. But Im definetly getting the UV Killer and washing my clothes, then spraying them, then washing again. If that doesnt work, then i guess Im forced to spend the extra money and get the Sport Wash detergent.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Spike

I bought a small hand held black light to look at all of the camo i bought over the last few years to checkand see if any of them had this bright blueish glow every one as ranting about because frankly it sounds like hog wash to me. what this hunter found was interesting. the camo that was hard wood gray, hard wood ap and simliarpatterns, all were 100% cotton or a poly cotton blend of some sort,made by 3 different mid range ($)manufactuers did not glow. some very small whiteblotches in the patterns that were highlights in the bark or on the limbs stood out alittle more, like white does under a black light. all of these were bought in the last 4 years. 2 seasons ago and last seasoni bought a camo set; long sleeve t-shirt, shirt and pants from the local walmart. last years pattern is the same as prievious but colored slightly different to be more defined, i guess. the pants and shirt from 2 yrs ago glowed in the areas that had white highlights, easly taken care with the uv kill spray.then... when i hit the long sleeve t-shirt with the light, BOING, it glowed like a blue neon light. if deer could see uv light, they werent going to miss me in the woods!. i then checked last years set and nothing glowed at all. that was the only problems i had with all the jackets, gloves, coveralls...everything elsei had. what this told me is that not EVERY thing is made with brightners in thefabric dye but you might as well check because you myhave some like i did just in case the deercan see in the uv range. i have always washed every thing in unscented soap that just happend to be non uv soap.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Well here is the latest on my UV Killer issue, I CANT FIND THE UV KILLER!!!!!!!!!! This is driving me insane. Gander Mtn doesnt sell it, the Wal-Marts near me have next to nothing in terms of hunting stuff anymore (cant figure that one out), Meijer doesnt sell it, and the one place that I know that does carry it, is waiting for a back order shippment of it and it will be a minimum of 7-8 days before they could get it in, cant wait that long. My dad has some down at the farm and his is bringing it back this sunday, but its an old bottle from years ago. Its beeing stored inside all the time, would it still work??? If it doesnt work, should I just buy the Sport Wash detergant and wash my clothes in that and then let them air dry???? (to prevent lint getting on them) Will the detergant kill the Orange glow???