Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What was you SCARIEST hunting experience >

What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Spike

Default RE: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Two of them, both with lever actions.

Frist,

I'm 12, dad gives me his Win 94 in 30/30. Takes me out to the quarry pitfor the first time. Shot a couple and dad went to see how I did. I must have operated the lever to chamber another round and "pulled" the trigger. Thank God I had the barrel pointing at the ground. My first thought was that I almost shot my Dad on the first time out. Dad came right back, said I missed the target, grabbed the 30/30 and we went right home. I still hunt with him.

Second

I must have been about 15, hunting with the same group of guys as I now do 21 years later. "Uncle" got a lever action 44 mag as a gift. He loves to hunt the swamps and liked it better than the 12 Ga. After the opening day, we gathered at the truck and as a rule, we all kind of put our backs to each other to unload (lots of bolts and lever actions rifles, no mags). Not sure what exactly happened, but I heard the shot and felt stuff hitting my pant leg and boots. My "Uncle" blew a huge hole in the dirt almost right between my feet that were about shoulder width apart. My Dad was cussing him out something fierce. I'm pretty sure I could have dumped right there in the hole.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

Was it the buck that did not break from his bed till my foot was coming down on him? Nah (I was hunting pheasant at the time and had been flushing hens, I didn't see the buck because my attention was in the sky.)

It was not the turkey that flushed at my feet either, nor was it when the bank of the river collapsed nearly swamping the canoe I was in. 15 feet farther downstream and I would not be writing this.

I was hunting carp with a bow once during a flood and cornered a coon hound and a setter on an old road bed. They were none too happy with me blocking the only exit. Feral dogs are scary when cornered. That was not it though.

The scariest was the gentle breeze, you may know the one, that cooling, almost chilling breeze....................that a duck load fired from about 30 yards away makes as it passes by your face. I was hot. We were in our chest waders hunting over decoys and were the first to set up in that area. The teal flew by me about three feet off of the water, which was head high to me in my waders. I let out a string of language letting the perp know what parts of the human anatomy that he resembled and what I thought that he did for recreation with his mother. I ended by saying that "You almost shot me!" In the hushed silence that followed, I heard my buddy (who was about 30 yards farther away) say, " He did shoot me." A single shot hit him in the temple and buried itself there, several more left welts through his coat and clothing. That got me going again and I went amongst the suspects none of which would ID the culprit. I was in the mood to sink a layout boat at the time so maybe it was just as well. I was close enough that had the shot been centered on me, I could have died. I think I had the right to be a wee bit upset.

The second scariest was when another teal flew by later that day just three feet away from me. I ducked and almost swamped those waders while yelling, "Don't shoot! Don't shoot!" at the top of my lungs.

That night my friend was having his yearly chili party. I asked my buddies wife, "What do you think about Tom getting shot this morning?" A new cool breeze started blowing just before she said "What? Tom got shot?" She was none too happy with Tom at that point and Tom was a bit unhappy with me for spilling the beans.

Bob

P.S.- I just got off the phone with Tom and thought that he may have read this post and was calling about it. I was wrong. He called to say that his son was driving near Lamoni, Iowa, close to the cabin and the land we hunt. Tom's son claims to have had a cougar cross the road in front of him. The DNR admits that they have found proof of cougars in Ringgold County so it very well may be true. If I hear something following me to my stand site, in the dark, I may have a new scariest tale next year.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:04 AM

Falling out of the tree trying to get to my stand. But I landed on my feet. I'm kinda like a cat....lol
Old 10-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

It was my first hunting trip by myself I was in a tripod I had my 308 for the ready incase a deer would show didnt see anything it was getting dark I hate dark woods then I hear a loud screaching and I was like o woooww and it kept going on and on and on then I picked up my walkie talkie and started talking to my cousin (screeching still going on) and I say "John whats that noise? sounds like a fat lady screaming but worse." "its a ssssssssssssss" then it cuts off I looked at the walkie talkie and the battery thingy was flashing I sat there holding my 308 at the ready it was like a weird horror movie I swear all of it is true soon my dad and my brother come to pick me up that was a weird and freaky hunt I will never forget

I figured out that It was a rabbit being attacked by a predator
Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM

Heard a shot ring out. Next thing I heard was the slug whistle past me from above and to my right. Saw and heard the slug hit the dirt about 4 feet in front of me. By far the scariest thing that's happened to me while hunting.

Some funnier ones are:

stepped on a nesting turkey once. It flew up into the air directly in front of my face. I crapped my pants on that one!!

Another time I was getting ready to leave for the evening. Then I saw two coyote run under my stand. So now my imagination took over and I was a tad nervous about walking out. As I made my way across the field, I heard the distinct sound of something running... very fast....right at me. I wave of fear flooded over me and I froze. The running sound got closer and as it reached me, I spun around fast and took a "gotcha" pose and yelled out an aggressive "RAAAA!!". But my "RAAAA!!" immediately became an "AYYYY!!" of suprise. I was met face to face with a fawn that was about to run me over! The two of us scared the crap outta each other. The fawn stopped dead and its eyes grew very wide. It turned itself inside out trying to get away. I fell back a couple of steps and nearly wet myself. I laughed all the way back to the truck.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seeing as I hunt gun season in northern Wisconsin, I've never seen a bear, althought I have seen tracks once every 10 years or so, I've never seen a wolf, although I have seen many wolf and coyote tracks. I've taken a few walks thru the woods where I really was not sure of where I was, but i know I was not lost due toi haveing a compass and knowing which way to go if I really felt lost.

The thing that scares the bejezus out of me is when there is about 8 to 12 inches or snow and the ground and you are trudging along, you don't walk normally in snow that deep, and all of a sudden about 6 grouse flush right between your legs !!!I usually have to go back to camp and change my pants !!!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wading chest deep in a canal while frog hunting while a 10 foot alligator drifts along about 20 feet from you can be a bit nerve wracking.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Spike

Last year my hunting partner and I got out a couple of weeks early, and decided to try to call in a bear. I dropped him off at the top of this area, he was going to hike down and set up and start calling. II on the other hand drove to the bottom about a 1/2 mile by way of the trail but about a mile and a half on the road.. I parked and then headed into a opening and intersected the trail we were going to be hunting. As I got out of the truck, I hear Jon give a couple of nice wounded rabbit calls. so I start heading up the trail towards where I heard him call from, Just then I hear an alomost identical call considerably louder from right above and behind me.. I stop and thinking to myself that maybe it was just a weird echo and that jon was set-up right above me.. I settle in at the base of a tree and start waiting.. Nothing. After about 15 min. I hear Jon call another couple of times.. Again right behind me the most ear shattering identical scream, Now I know it's not some freaky echo. But I'm not sure what the hell it is.. all of the sudden The hair on the back of my neck starts standing up, and I'm getting pretty freaked .30-06 or not.. I get up and start walking back towards the clearing I parked by the whole time looking back to where I was just sitting and checking the hill behind.. then I hear loud steps I turn to see Jon, first words out of his mouth were "what theF#*@ was that?"... We got out of there once we got to town, we described the sound and incident to someold-timers we knew(who weren't drinking) and they told us that it was a cougar stalking what It thought was a wounded meal.. And thatI should consider myself lucky, with it being that close, and it being that hungary.. we did not tell our wives.. No reason to add fuel to a fire.. That was the most unsettling noise I have head in my 28 years of hunting..
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Spike

few years ago i was packing up my generic climber during bow season, the walmart-ish type one with the blades so it took me a while to break it down for carrying. I had the flashlight on the ground while strapping it to my back when what sounded like a train through the silence of night, down the hill directly in my direction. Thinking both "what the f*ck is that?!?" and "holy sh*t i am going to die", i drop the stand and reach for the light and bow from the ground. as soon as i shined the light in the direction of the noise which was then a yard away on the other side of the tree, it stopped. just a small doe. she just sat there for a bit until i said "BOO!" she ran off.

few weeks later, got in stand in previously mentioned tree, way before dark. hear something else coming straight at me out in the darkness, but slowly this time and not nearly as heavy. start hearing claws on a tree. once again thinking "what the f*ck is that now??" i reach for the flashlight. i get it out of the backpack and flash it in the direction of the sound, which was very close. it turned to be a racoon on the tree 2-3' next to the one i was in. he continued up until we met faces, smiled at each other, and he continued up the tree never to be seen again.

i think the following, once again in the same stand, calm gentle breeze in the middle of the day, and *CRACK - CHATTER * a 40' or so tree to my right starts falling in my direction. i freak out and start hugging the tree i was in. fortunately, fell short by 10-15 yards or so, but that didnt stop me from peeing my pants.

lots of fun times in the hunting spot.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Fork Horn

I've been spooked several times for one reason or another,but only felt my life was threatened once while duck hunting. We were hunting divers on a remote island across a wide expanse of open water. It was late in the day,and we were trying to take advantage of every moment of legal shooting time since the season was quickly coming to and end. Anyway,a north easter blew in,and it started to sleet. We gathered up the spread,and put the guns away,and by that time it was good and dark. We hopped in the boat and began the crossing back to the creek and boat ramp. About midway across we took a 4 footer across the stern and it flooded out the Evinrude. Luckily,we drifted up on a point at the mouth of a large creek. No food,very little water and that was well before the advent of Cell Phones.....
We had no wood for a fire,so we huddled up on the shoreline and prepared for a long night. About 2am a Coast Guard Chopper found us,and a few minutes later we were picked up by a tactical boat. Those blankets and that hot coffee made us feel human again..... Those guys were nice enough to tow my boat the mile and a half to the ramp,and the crew chief commended us for leaving a float plan with the wives. They knew right where to look for us! Never so wet,cold and scared in all my days.........

Quick Reply: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.