Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What was you SCARIEST hunting experience >

What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

My brother was walking to his stand 2 years ago when florida was facing a drought. He was walking to his stand before daylight through some smaller pines on his way to the edge of some hardwoods. He walked up and suddenly was stopped by something hissing. He froze and shined down close to his feet- it was a dark object on top of all the underbrush- a 7-8 ft gator! The gator opened his mouth and was hissing at him at the same time, needless to say my brother freaked out. He jumped back out of the gator's way and went around his trail to get to his deer stand, but he was shaken up by the incident. If it would have been me i would have made sure it didnt happen again!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

i was 14.. went out archery hunting ..was about 1/2 to my stand.. and my flashlight died.. i was fumbeling for new batteries out of my back.. and i just had that feeling that something wasnt right.. put new batteries in.. turned on the light and there were 6 yotes with in 20 yards of me !!!!!!!!!!!!!.. needless to say i walked away slowly and went home..and didnt go out for a week.. it was a VERY scary exp.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, some of these stories are freaking me out. That is some scary stuff. Unexpected animals at the scene can be downright frightening, buthonestly these stories with other people acting crazy or careless in the woods just scare the s*** out of me. I can't get over someloser in the woods pointing his gun atanother personand then not being apologetic immediately afterwards. That is just insane.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned

Hunting on my OWN property, a couple of jack a**es decided to stand on my fence line,andwait for their dogs to run down a deer. They heard my brother and I walking and took a shot at us! We yelled and said "someones up here!!!" and they shot again. Finally they bolted out of the woods. I did'nt hunt for a few years after that. I'll never forget the sound of buckshot bouncing off the trees. I hate people who trespass and think that dog hunters are idoits. If I ever see another dog on my property, its dead. Bunch of crap.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

I've got 2.
Last week I was calling yotes in a drainage that runs east-west. I had the wind in my face and had yote coming in up wind. He was standing behind a fir tree, so I switched calls to see if I could get him to come in to the clear. All of a sudden he turns, starts walking away, makes 2 leaps and sprints like hades! Just then I hear something big coming from my left (west). I stop calling and move uphill for a clear view. It's a BIG GRIZZLY! He walked within 65 yds. of me, lost interest and went back the way he came. I was sitting there,bear spray in one hand and 7mmRM in the other.

This evening, my girl and I went out to do a little glassing and maybe pop a mtn.cottontail or two. We took our wolfdog Willy along. As we were walking back towards the trailhead I thought I saw something. So I called Wilson in close. I kept hearing something in the treeline so I took my ..22 off my shoulder and kept walking. When we were about 500 yds, from the truck (and just about too dark to see) Wilson sniffs uphill, tucks his tail and starts to sprint. There is only one thing he is afraid of, mtn.lions! I call him,look up the hill and can barely make out the shape of a lion less than 40yds. above us. I tell Amy to walk in front, Wilson between us and kept looking over my shoulder all the way back to the truck. That lion stalked us all the way down the ridge to the trailhead.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Fork Horn

kinda tame where I hunt , Ive walked out miles to the main road a few times, due to natural stupidity.If I heard something I just walked faster and never got ate

artifisial intellegence, is no match for natural stupidity
Old 10-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted w/ a Jack _ _ _ that started unloading his gun a bolt. As he was pissed at missing a deer he slammed the bolt forward and somehow smasehed the trigger. Dirt and stones all over me and my ear rang forever. Lost the bottom of my climber because I didn't have a good knot on the retaining string, had to shimmy down in the dark after it rattled dowen the tree. That was exciting. Had askunk come up and sniff my boot while bow hunting, that was fun. Had a 6o foot hemlock fall besid me, as the beavers had worked it over since last trip back in/ and I mean I felt the wind as it went down and crashed. It scared the bejesus out of me. My Dad and I were deer hunting and at dusk had some thing brown sneaking down the bin the brush in front of us on a rainy night. It was during 2 day doe season in PA in the old days. We both were ready but for some reason held off, here it was a guy sneaking threw in dark brown duckcloth no orage, red or nothing. He got an ear beating and my Dad needed a shot when we got out of the woods. Jeeze I'm remembering all kinds of stuff. Scaring myself now! One of the best jokes I oulled was to take those wood eyes and noses you can buy to put faces on trees. They glow in the dark. Well all night i told ghost stories and asked guys about ghosts etc around the campfire. Got everyone hepped up, well my bro in law goes to his stand and he sees this slight light out at the end of his shootinglane and it's moving (wind of course). So he's on the walkie talkie asking evryone of they can see that light. No one is responding cuz' there in on thejoke.He get's so wound up he went back to camp until daylight. I'm still watching my back after that one.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Spike

Ok, you guys win, my little owl story and unidentified growl story pales in comparrison to all of the bear, mt. lion, jacka@@e@, and alligigator experiences. I'm glad my biggest concern when I hunt is usually mosquitos!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

having a pheasant flush from under your feet as you walk in an hour before daylight... gets me every time!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I was hunting Gooks, 1968. Ended up more of them were hunting me. They threw everything they had at me but I just dug deeper. Another day and I would have reached Chicago. LOL After that, there are no boogers in the NY State woods that can hurt me.

Quick Reply: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.