Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What was you SCARIEST hunting experience >

What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Old 09-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

I was on my second youth hunt and me and my dad set up to intersect these birds going thru a set of trees. well about a half hour later i was ready to go so i leaned around the tree and whispered to my dad if he was ready to go. he said just wait 5 more minutes so we did. in about five minutes i noticed a tom walking down this draw at about 75 yards. i got my gun up and ready to shoot. well when the bird got at about 12 yards i just need him to take one more step, when i hear a voice say, "josh... josh you ready to go". i noticed it was my dad on the other side of the tree ready to go, because five minutes had passed. so i did the first thing i could think of, i leaned around the tree and whispered, "SHUT-UP". bye this time the bird had noticed something was up. my dad leaned around the tree, the bird took one more step, and i pulled the trigger. the bird was 24lbs. 11 inch beard, and inch and a quarter spurs. biggest bird in jackson county that year. best memory i have from hunting.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

LMAO!!.2Poppa.. thats there is funny..Great story
Old 09-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

2poppa that is awesome i can only imagine how you felt haha
Old 09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

i was in my stand about 45 min before dawn. as i was sitting there i heard an owl hooting. i looked around, and the owl was perched right above me. I watched the owl for a little while and decided to rest my eyes for a little bit. As i was begining to fall asleep i heard a noise. it sounded like a swooping motion. I looked up and saw the owl flying towards my head. I freaked out, and waved my arms to scare him off. As i sat there for another 20 min the owl swooped at me at least 3 more times. As it began to get lighter, the owl swooped at me one last time, and this time i saw his talons. I am glad i didnt see those the first time. i hunted the stand many times after that day and i havent seen him since.And to make matters worse it was my first time black powder hunting (so i was a little nervous), and iall isaw were a couple of does. [:@]
Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coming across two black bear cubs at 10 ft. away was kinda nervy while bow hunting. Another time when a hunter decided to clean the cabin and throw the debris in a 55 gallon drum and as we made a fire in the drum at dark-thirty 2 shots rang out from the drum as we were standing by the fire. Cartriges left in a supposely empty bx. Another time I came across a hunter and he told me he was undercover game warden and had to confiscate my weapon, his weapon wasn't even drawn and I pointed my 870 at him and told him he ain't taken sheet, this was at near dark going back to the truck, he raised his hands and told me he was just kidding. I sure as hell wasn't. I was about 6 miles from the truck and about 30 miles in the bush when that happened.

Bobby
Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Spike

When I was young, my Grandfather took me coon-huntin', we were walking along and heard what I think was a bob-cat cry, stood the hair on the back of my neck. A little further on the walk (in tall fox-tail grass) all of a suddena couple of pheasants busted out. That'll make you dig a hole with your feet trying to run ANYPLACE !!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago i was muzzleload hunting and I shot this 8 point. I sat in my climbing stand a few more minutes before climbing donwn. I started down the tree and when i got about 7 feet off the ground the bar that goes around the back, on the seat portion of the stand broke. Well let me tell you that there is no way a person can react fast enough to catch himself. I hit the foot section of the stand before i hit the ground. It knocked me out for just a short period of time and when i awoke my face and head was covered with blood. I drug the deer down to the creek and washed my face off and the only place that i was cut was my right ear. Someone was watching over me that day. Since that day i no longer like hunting by myself. A person just never knows what can happen to you out hunting alone.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

i would have to say it was last year when i was hunting pubic land and was shot at twice while i was trying to flush grouse
and someone took pot shots at me with a .22

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1837950&mpage=1&key=&#183795 0
Old 09-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only scary experience I have had is when I was up in my treestand, hunting right after it heavily rained. The tree I was in was wet but I didn't think anything about it. I climbed up to 20 or so feet, and got settled in. I didn't shift my weight, or do anything weird, but all of the sudden, for no apparant reason, the bottom foot platform decided to go "See-ya!" and scraped down the tree about 2 feet! [&:] Thank God for bungy cords and the safety tether rope. I reached down and carefully muscled it back upwards, a little at a time. Then once I got it positioned where it was, I stood on it and hopped up and down on it, so it wouldn't go anywhere.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Spike

I was out hunting with a bunch of friends and we were making a drive. The area I was sneaking through had waist high thick grass . I seen a stump up in front of me and when I got close to it I jumped up on it to get a better view of the area and as I did 2 turkey flew up from the other side of the stump. Scaried the H--L out of me!!!

Quick Reply: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.