Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What was you SCARIEST hunting experience >

What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Old 09-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

When i was turkey hunting one evening i was walking back before sundown since the turkeys would either be there by then or werent coming that evening so as i was walking back i was trying to be as quiet as i could just in case they snuck in behind me. as i was walking i hear a rattling and the first thing that comes to mind i rattlesnake so i instantly stop and start to look around and i was going to shoot the first thing that moved when i look down and a young garter snake goes over the top of my boot, and once it got in the leaves again i could see what was making the rattling noise it was his tail going through the leaves.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Face to Face with a Black Bear in the swamp in total darkness...
Same here about 10 years ago .
I dropped off a couple buddies and drove the buggy around a head and parked it .Might a been around 5am when I started heading towards my stand and while quitely wallking down wind with out using a light I accidentally snuck up on a black bear in the palmettos.
That SOB growled as he turned around and I did was grab my rifle and put my flashlight on the barrel and got ready to shoot when he hauled butt out of there. I dont know who was more scared me or the bear.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Never been that scared in the woods but nothing gets my heart pumping like walking up on a covey of birds or hearing a flock of turkeys leaving their roost at first light...gets me every time. The funny thing is I always try to prepare myself for it but it scares the mess out of me whenever it happens...
Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Spike

Several years ago I used to be an avid coon hunter, which mandates being in the woods primarily at night. On one occasion I was with a couple other guys, we were listening as hard as we could to the dogs working and all of the sudden a screech owl cut loose in a tree about 10 yds away, I had never heard one before andI freaked out!(To anyone who doesn't know they sound like a woman screaming at the top of her lungs) Needless to say my buddies had a good laugh since they knew what it was. On another occasion I was by myself, the dogs were cold trailing and I had enough so I went to get them. All of the sudden they passed me in a dead run headed back towards the truck. Now I hunted with 2 blueticks a male and female, fairly large hounds so I was surprised at them running from something because I had seen them in bloody fights with many a coon. Soon I heard a blood curdeling growl about 50 or 60 yds. away, so I followed the dogs lead and hauled a@# back to the truck. I never saw what growled at me and I am fine with that! But thanks for starting this thread to spook me right before bow season opens here in Ark.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm...I guess it was the time a couple of years ago when I was bowhunting in October, and started to step across a log and heard the loudest hiss I had ever heard. I froze in place and and there was a cottonmouth directly under where I was about to step. I had snake boots on, but it still rattled me. I backed off. I guess he was as scared as me, because he just lost his head.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Scariest time for me wasnt actually in the woods but when we got out. Me and my cousin were hunting in the old Jefferson Proving Grounds here in Indiana with a longtime family friend. It was muzzeloader season and we hadnt seen anything. I could see some dark clouds rolling in, the kind that split the sky in half. done with legal shooting light and we head to the truck which had a slide on pop-up camper in the back bed. We were in my dads mazda b2200 which isnt big. It starts to ran really hard, we proceed to drive out of the facility and there were two creeks we had to cross, and when we came to the first one, we could see that there was basically no road, our friend in his 4x4 truck drove thru and came back telling us it was fine for us to go thru, he turns around and goes back across, we proceed slowly and as soon as we hit the bridge, the water starts banging into the side of the truck, we finally get to the middle of the bridge and the water is now up on the hood of the truck, my cousin worked it cautiously and finally got us across. I've never felt a car shake like that did with the rushing water going by. I think had it not been for the pop-up camper, the water would have drug us off the bridge. Needless to say we messed up something on the truck as my dad found out the next day. Scary moment though.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Spike

hey bcward...That's what friends are for!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

'Bout twenty five years ago I had permission to hunt a farm that I had to help cut tobacco on. There were five guys who helped out and had permission also to hunt.
I only knew the son-in-law, and to make things interesting, we made the season into a "Big Buck Contest" that cost each guy twenty-five dollars to enter.

After the first couple of weeks, I soon realized that I only had hunted about one third of the farm. I ventured to the back 100 acres, and seen rubs, scrapes, everywhere ... this must be Monster Buck Territory, I thought to myself.

Later that day, I retrieved my tree stand from another location on the farm and re-located it in the midst of the scrapes and huge rubs.

I took all of the necessary precautions in regards to scent control and after getting the steps and the stand in, I immediately left the area.
The next day was going to pay off, I was sure of this.
I arrived two hours before daylight and didn't have any trouble locating the stand in darkness.

About twenty minutes after first light, my stomach started to growl. At first, I thought it was just a little indigestion. All of a sudden, my stomach was in knots and I needed to go take a dump.
I hadn't been this far back in the woods and decided I would go in the direction I hadn't been in ... quickly!

I climbed down and "ran" as fast and quietly as I could, down wind from my tree stand. I almost didn't get my huntin' pants down fast enough. As I was crouched down, I began to wonder what was causing my stomach to re-act. "Must have been the red hot Buffalo Wings from "Buffalo Bob's" the night before".

I'll spare you the details, but in my haste, I forgot to bring my back pack which had my toilet paper in it. After locating hand fulls of saw grass,with my pants down to my ankles, I was about to go back to my tree stand a couple hundred feet away, when I noticed movement in a tree about thirty yards from where I was standing.

As I looked up into the tree, I realized it was another hunter, and I must have just "messed up" his huntin' area. With all sorts of thoughts and apology's running through my head, I decided to slowly and quietly walk over to his stand.

As I got within whispering distance, I asked,"have you seen anything?"

His reply,"I saw everything!"
Old 09-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was walking down a pine brake a few years ago alone at dusk with only a bow and a pocket knife. I knew there had been a panther in the area when I came across some track. It was then that I came to the revelation that even though the likelyhood of an attack was small all I had was a sharp stick and a 3 inch blade.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

I was sitting in a little valley in the black hills of south dakota. I had just got there and hit my "can" call followed by a few grunts. Well, I called in a mountain lion. It walked slowly downwind of me, and crouched down with his ears laid back. He was maybe 50 yards from me. I stood up and shouted at him, but he didn't move, just sat there crouched downlooking at me. So I kept yelling at him (which did nothing), and walked all the way back to my truck backwards so I could keep an eye on him. What freaked me out is that he wasn't scared at all! Just ready to pounce the whole time.

I don't know if you had bow or longgun but if the latter I'd been plantin that cat in the dirt.

Quick Reply: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.