Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Rem 870 wingmaster magnum slugs? >

Rem 870 wingmaster magnum slugs?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rem 870 wingmaster magnum slugs?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rem 870 wingmaster magnum slugs?

I am in search of the best selectionof slugs for my fully rifled slug barrel.
I'd love to be throwing hollow points down range, but who knows what's best.
I am open to suggestions...

Old 09-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rem 870 wingmaster magnum slugs?

Shoot as many different types as your budget and shoulder will allow. No matter what shoots well in someone else's gun, there's only one way to find out what will shoot well in your's. My Wingmaster with afully rifled factorybarrel shoots regular "foster style rifled slugs" just fine and since i never take shots over about 50 yards with my Slug Gun, that is what i use. You are probably going to want to look at the various Sabot style slugs on the market. Try different types until you find one that gives you acceptable accuracy for the shots you expect to be taking under field conditions. If you've never done much Slug shooting from a bench, be ready to hang on to your teeth!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Like Kid said, try some different types out. It also depends on your shots. Are you sitting on a field edge, where a 170 yard shot may present itself? If so, you're going to want to stick with a Hornady SST, or similar round. I think Remmington came out with a new Sabot round with a ballistic tip similar to the SST. Lightfields have shot beautifully out of any rifled barrell I own, but there again you'll be limited in distance. Oh, one more thing...You may choose to shoot a regular rifled slug out of your gun, and it may shoot fine to a limited distance, but be sure to thoroughly scrub your barrell, as a LOT of lead fouling will buildin the grooves and decrease accuracy. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ultra man

Like Kid said, try some different types out. It also depends on your shots. Are you sitting on a field edge, where a 170 yard shot may present itself? If so, you're going to want to stick with a Hornady SST, or similar round. I think Remmington came out with a new Sabot round with a ballistic tip similar to the SST. Lightfields have shot beautifully out of any rifled barrell I own, but there again you'll be limited in distance. Oh, one more thing...You may choose to shoot a regular rifled slug out of your gun, and it may shoot fine to a limited distance, but be sure to thoroughly scrub your barrell, as a LOT of lead fouling will buildin the grooves and decrease accuracy. Hope this helps and good luck.
x2. My 11-87 really likes the Hornady SST's, Shot a coyote at 194 yards last year while deer hunting,I have done allot of practice out to 200yds. But like has been posted previously, every gun is different.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rem copper solids and Lightfields 2 3/4" work for me. Like others have said try a variety and see what works best in your gun. Also be sure to sight in 2" high at 50 yds and gravity will take care of the rest at 100.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'd love to pack a whallop with a slug, but is 2 3/4" or a 3" slug more appropriate all around.
With the slugs, I am looking to reach out and touch some of those deer at 75-125 yds..
Old 09-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

If I were you, I'd stick with the 2 3/4 rounds. They provide plenty of wallop, and it's been my experience that accuracy has actually decreased when shooting the 3 inchers. Plus, you don't need the extra pounding the 3's will give your shoulderwhen sighting in.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

It's time for change!
Buckshot is out and slugs are in!
I picked up 2 boxes of hornady sst's 2 3/4" and 2 boxes Barnes Vital Shock 2 3/4" 1oz.
I'll sight in for the sst's and see where the barnes fall in.
Now we have a combination of superior range and devastation!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

My 870 shoots the Hornady SST's better than when I had Winchester Supreams in it. give some different boxes a try and find which one is right for your gun.