Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What trumps a deer when hunting? >

What trumps a deer when hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What trumps a deer when hunting?

Old 09-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What trumps a deer when hunting?

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

Coyotes are a temptation that I've learned to resist. Bear, cougar, or hog on the other hand............ the odds are slim though here in Iowa. A cougar has been shot in the county I hunt though, and more sign has been found,a couple of bears shot a county or two away, and hogs are rumored two counties away.

The DNR denied cougars in Iowa until one was hit by a car and two were shot by hunters. Bears, cougars and hogs are not protected in Iowa because they are not wanted here. Wolves are protected, go figure. They are not wanted either.

Bob
yup... i live in northwest iowa, and there is the occasional cougar around these parts. they aren't as plentiful as they used to be but there still a bunch that are seen every year. i hunt on the sd/ia border, and the lions travel down the river or come from farther west in s.d.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Spike

Like everyone else I wouldn't hesitate to whack a coyote, they are good for nothin'. In fact one of my best shots ever, I dropped a coyote a 75 yds, it was running about 3/4 speed, my trusty 30-30 rolled up him up. The next day I killed an 8 pt. from same stand. I would also kill a hog, bear, bobcat, and last year it was right at dark I was getting ready to get down and I cut a raccoon in half that was eating my corn. It all depends on what mood I'm in, but I do agree with those that say gunshots don't spook deer as much as you would think.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2Poppa

[align=center]Nothing Trumps a Deer!

If it does, you ain't focused on deer huntin'!

Why consider anything else, when possibly a "State Record Buck" could be in the general vicinity?

Ican't understand anyones reasoning to shoot anything else ... but how many of the people that have answered have seen a Monster?[/align]
Well in some places in British Columbia, you've got record book mulie bucks, sheep, elk all in the same area.
Often they are bedded within several hunred yrds among one another.
More than once I've glassed a basin full of sheep and and within shooting range there has been a 190 net class buck within shooting range.
and passed it up for a opertunity to go after the ram.
In some management units these seasons all open at the same time.
Trust me a record ram, or bull elk, would trump any record mulie buck any day of the week.
The same tacticts for hunting high country mulies can be used with sheep and elk so it ain't impoosissble to go out for deer and come back with ram or big bull.
If your wondering why I'd pass up a big mulie for a shhep or elk the reason behind it is simple,the mulie will be back, the sheep and elk won't due to the earlier rutting phase.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coyote, but depending on my seasons and tag situation I'd shoot a bear too.
A big nice gobbler in the fall would also get shot at. I've come close several times but those buggers pick me out on the draw.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

if hunting public land a bobcat or coyote but if hunting the farm i own then nothing.Where we livebiologist say that there arent mountain lions buti know there are i seen one trot behind me while turkey hunting so i would def shoot one to prove everyone wrong
Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM

[align=center]Nothing Trumps a Deer!

If it does, you ain't focused on deer huntin'!

Why consider anything else, when possibly a "State Record Buck" could be in the general vicinity?

Ican't understand anyones reasoning to shoot anything else ... but how many of the people that have answered have seen a Monster?[/align]
I have! On more than one occasion, 2 Poppa.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Ha, ha, ha ... ya know what I'm talkin' about.

Hey Jeff Ovington, there may be an exception to the rule, just as drdi said too ...

[quote]
What if shooting a trophy deer is not your goal? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down a shot at a monster buck. It's just that at the end of the day, I don't really care if I see one or not. Different strokes.........[quote]

ORIGINAL: joliver

I have! On more than one occasion, 2 Poppa.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

BIGFOOT
Old 09-29-2008, 08:28 PM

dillas, yotes, pigs, coons,
Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my area, there aren't supposed to be any wild hogs. But, if I see one, it's going down! It only happened once. I got two hogs that afternoon, and my neighbor got one. We didn't see any hogs in that area after that.

I'd take a coyotein a heart beat too. I know there's a lot of them around here, but the regulations on hunting them here in TN is very strict so I have to take them when I can.

Quick Reply: What trumps a deer when hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.