Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Help me out with something, BOW HUNTING! >

Help me out with something, BOW HUNTING!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me out with something, BOW HUNTING!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM

Default Help me out with something, BOW HUNTING!

Hey, I have a couple of questions. I want to get into bow hunting, having not shot a bow since I was in Boy Scouts, some 15 years ago, I know things have changed since then as they do each year with new models and such. What do I need to look for, and what do I need to do to get "fitted" for a "beginner" bow? Any suggestions? I know I am looking to spend in the $300-$900 range to get completely lined out on what I would need correct?

If some one could give me some advice on which way to go that would be great.

Thanks,
Baker0821
Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help me out with something, BOW HUNTING!

Check out the Bow Hunting forum!!!

Hit a couple shops and ask to shoot their lineup....once you have shot the bunch, re shoot the ones you like the best and then decide!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 PM

yeah carpmaster is right, just go to a bow shop and find one that's comfortable to you. Just be careful and don't get caught up in all the speed/cost hype, you don't have to have a bow that's shooting way over 300fps to kill deer. Find one that's quiet and feels comfortable when you draw and shoot it. You don't have to spend a ton of money on a bow to kill deer. Gotta have one you can hit with consistently before you can kill deer. Good luck finding the right bow.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: baker0821

Hey, I have a couple of questions. I want to get into bow hunting, having not shot a bow since I was in Boy Scouts,
LOL, 15 years ago I was an archery merit badge instructor at a boy scout summer camp. It wasn't Camp Thunder was it? In my opinion, comfort is the most important thing for a beginner picking his first bow. Does it feel "good" when you pick it up and shoot it? Is the draw length comfortable? These are probably the most important things for finding a bow that you really like and will be comfortable hunting with. When you find a bow that you like, have it tuned with the broadheads that you want to shoot and practice with it. Practice with your set up is the secret to success.

Preparation+opportunity= success

(And don't forget proper "follow through" when you shoot!)
Old 09-26-2008, 02:36 PM

It was right before they moved from Camp Minneatta, to Camp Loud Thunder permanently. I never did get my merit badge though, LOL
Old 09-26-2008, 07:21 PM

I think if you are willing to spend up to 900 dollars you should be fine. I went out bowhunting for the first time this year and I think I have spent less than 150 bucks.

I scored a free bow and had to buy arrows, camo, permits, and all the little things I needed. I scored some cheap camo from the sporting goods store along with all my scent control for less that 70 bucks. (granted I need to get some cold weather stuff when this heat wave snaps)
Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Spike

I would agree with these guys. I you go to a few proshops and ask questions and try evety different manufacturer you. Stay from anyone that only recommends 1 line or moddle of bow. There are a lot of good lines out there. Some are better for others and my not work as well for you.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:55 AM

Hello everyone,
I have all the little things, just need the bow setup. and for the record, I am not willing to spend $900 (I know my wife isn't for sure) I am always looking for a deal.