HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/264910-you-killed-now-what.html)

DR KILL 09-25-2008 10:35 AM

YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

OK GUYS, HERE IS THE QUESTION . WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?
ITS 7 PM MONDAY YOU JUST STUCK A DEER YOU WATCH IT RUN 30 YARDS AND FOLD UP YOU HAVE AN HOUR DRAG TO GET TO YOUR TRUCK . THE TEMP IS 72 DEG AND FALLING THE LOWEST IT WILL GET TONIGHT WILL BE 59 DEG, WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THIS DEER. ?
PLEASE ANSWER WHAT YOU WOULD DO FROM THE TIME YOU PUT HANDS ON DEER UNTIL THE PROCESS IS COMPLETE ,

THANKS IN ADVANCE , RT270STALKER

Lanse couche couche 09-25-2008 10:39 AM

RE: YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

I probably wouldn't go deer hunting under those conditions.

M.Magis 09-25-2008 11:01 AM

I would hunt, but I'd sure have a plan together BEFORE heading out. Sounds like I'd be up late butchering.

robbcayman 09-25-2008 11:02 AM

I would pack him full of ice until the next morning and then have him processed.

xkmorris 09-25-2008 11:08 AM

1st of all with the temp that high you need to get the deer back to camp . Gut & quarter and ice the deer down in a cooler asap if you cant get it home to take care of it.

afrdnckhntr 09-25-2008 11:12 AM

ice the sucker up until you can get it to a processor or hang it up so you have time to butcher it

bornhunter04 09-25-2008 11:18 AM

get him gutted loaded up in the truck, depending on the drive back to the house, stop at a gas station and throw a bag or 2 of ice in the chest cavity,(if its going to hang over night, make sure i get it washed out really good) either get up early before work or butcher it that night, since it only takes about 30 minutes or so to cut one up.

Mottz 09-25-2008 11:22 AM

Gut it, throw it in the truck, go check it in, pick up a case of Bud Light and call some buds up and say "Free beer to whoever helps cut this guy up" Usually get a good turnout!!;)

BetterBirddogs 09-25-2008 11:45 AM

Had this exact thing happen last night. I arrowed a nice doe at 7:30. Went back to the truck got the atv and loaded her up. Got her home and gutted her at about 8:30. I am going to finsh her up tonight when I get home from work tonight. My buddy is going to teach me because this will be my first butcher job. I'm looking forward to it. He told me she would be fine hanging in the garage today but would need to be cut up tonight.

johnnybravoo77 09-25-2008 12:00 PM

First I would hit the Caps Lock button on mykeyboard, then gut the deer, take home, hang, wash out, skin, quarter, throw meat in the fridge and cut up when convenient, or cut up immediatly.