Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Box Stand Plans

Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 PM

Default RE: Box Stand Plans

What puts folks into a tail spin about treated lumber?? Am I missing something. Somebody at the home improvement ctr. was telling me about the HARSH chemicals used in treating the lumber and about bad for the enviroment they are. Oh well I am building a deer stand...all of a sudden I am the anti christ...I amsupporting big evil business...blagh,balgh,balgh....rednecks deers hunting,blagh blagh,blagh...Hey me & my boy are trying to spent some quailty time together and enjoy the outdoors. What the hell is wrong with this country???

Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my new box stand for this fall. It is a 7x8, it is going up on pressure treated 6x6s (10ft to the floor), has 24x36" sliding windows, insulated, wood paneling inside, haven't decided if I'm going to shingle the roof or tin it yet..... This is my only picture of it from about a week ago off my camera phone.

Here is a picture of my 4x8 box stand from a 1/2 mile away. Its not big enough for 2 full size guys to hunt out of very comfortably with the propane heater going. That one is 8ft off the ground on telephone poles.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

I used pressure treated 4x4,s 12 feet long to get the floor 10 feet off the ground , Also used 2x8,s for the 8x8 floor .The rest is 2x4 spruce and obs..
Dont let anyone ruin your plans , Make it the best you can afford to so it will hold up for years to come .
Easier to do the labor once in 20 plus years rather than every 6 to 8 years .
Use pressure treated , use gloves and wash your hands as a precaution .
OH ,ya remember to enjoy it ...

Old 09-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I found some scrap storm windows that were pretty long and used the side frames for window slides with plexi glass,works great.I also didn't put mine in the ground.I just put flat stepping stones under post and drove steel post and anchored to them
Old 09-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Fork Horn

where did ya get the telephone poles from? ahah funny question..