HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   deer movement? where di dthe bucks go? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/262963-deer-movement-where-di-dthe-bucks-go.html)

gjs4 09-13-2008 01:49 PM

deer movement? where di dthe bucks go?

I will list as many factors as possible; Bt I am trying to figure out why I only see juvie bucks and does now.

320 acres in western NY. 1/4 wooded, 1/4 red bruch (including a sanctuary), 1/4 feral grass fields, 1/8 mowed grass, 1/8 swampy marsh. 10+ acres of food plots (summer- soybeans/sunflower/sorgum/peas, vareity of shotplots). trails throughout-traveled about once a week on Ranger or walking. Mowed every 3 months.

I have 5 cams. i check them every week- but try to do so tjust before a rain. i also try to be sent free- but have gone i after work.

I had a few nice mature bucks on my cams at the end of July &start of august. i had seen them glassing as well. I have not seen them since. All of a sudden i am seeing a bunch of scrappy bucks and lots of fawns and does. (both with cams and glassing).

some water, TONS of cover(best around- and we try not ot molest it or hunt it hard), some food. neighboring fields have corn and winterwheat. some apples dropping, not much for acorns.

did i kill it with too many visits? did they leave? are they just cautious or somewhere else?

thanks.

Pass_Thru 09-13-2008 02:37 PM

RE: deer movement? where di dthe bucks go?

Could be too much intrusion, acorns falling now, bach groups are just starting to break up a bit and they are becoming intolerable of each other. There are many reasons why sighting become fewer this time of year. Hang in there. Id personally stay out til eason starts. I rearly walk my lease except for hanging stand and making sure stuff is ready for season. We hit it for a few days in late Aug. and stay out. Checking trail cams alot can cause mature bucks to leave if you not careful where you put them(ie.too close to bedding)and careful about leaving a bunch of scent.

Jay

wahoohunter 09-13-2008 03:07 PM

is your property on a ridge? if so, is it facing north or south?

gjs4 09-13-2008 05:33 PM

Everything is flat in that area of the state.

I thought acorns- but there are hardly any out here this year. TONS of apples.

I need to develop the self control to stay the heck out of there......

KYDeerHunter03 09-13-2008 06:22 PM

Wish I had that problem. I had deer everywhere until a week ago. Now I dont see ANYTHING while im sittin in the stand. Kinda confusing....never had it happen before[>:]

Jimmy S 09-13-2008 07:59 PM

It might be time to roll those sleves up and get dirty.
Scout the woods for those big deer.

bluetick151 09-13-2008 08:06 PM

down here in the south(mississippi) our bucks are still in velvet and still in groups seen 3 this evening 2 of wich were out side there ears a few inches our season opens oct 1 cant wait!!!

gjs4 09-14-2008 11:59 AM

My guessis hteyre hole'd up[ in the corn...we have had a ton of rain and no one is cutting yet...which typically has started by now....

jrbsr 09-14-2008 03:45 PM

If the rut has started they are most likely walikng in search of does.
The last www.deeranddeerhunting.com show was talking about bucks walking when the rut starts.

wis_bow_huntr 09-15-2008 07:07 AM

Far from the rut starting. Too early for the October Lull. Im gonna say patience is needed here. They are there, just with all the vegitation around they have little need to come out to the fields. Once ya get a good killing frost youll see more.

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

If the rut has started they are most likely walikng in search of does.
The last www.deeranddeerhunting.com show was talking about bucks walking when the rut starts.