Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To dip or not to dip?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Default RE: To dip or not to dip?

I'm a cigar smoker, I've never tried dipping or chewing, my dad will normally chew during deer season, he finally quit chewing the rest of the year but he reverts back for 3 days every year.

Skoal in the green pouch is his choice. La Flor Dominicana Double ligero or Fuente Hemingway classic are my cigars of choice.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 PM

I voted no dip, cause I don't dip... but a buddy of mine does and he says it doesn't bother the deer. It's hilarious, his wife doesn't know he chews, he's always hiding his can of Cope.

Bugs.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Spike

I don't dip or smoke, but my opinion on the whole issue is I get up real early, drive real far, spend a lotta time preparing, and go to extremes with scent elimination. So why chance getting busted, I want to control every aspect of the hunt that I can, so choosing not to dip or smoke is one more thing someone could take out of the equation to help their odds.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

dip, dip, dip alot
Old 09-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Kodiak or Cope, depending on my mood. Used to spit in a Gatorade bottle. Just let it fly now.

Same when I have to pi$$.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 PM

i started dipping to quit smoking, now i do both.... and yep i do both in a treestand, matter a fact ive had to put a smoke out to shoot a deer before....
i've gotten my states limit for the last 11 years and i dont see it being a problem while huntn
i mostly dip in a stand but i will smoke when i want to, well at least i will tilll the tree huggers make it a no smoking section..... btw ever notice that most people that gripe about smoking or dipping usualy have a vice too, like they eat too much or drink too much ect. if people would just mind there business and help there neighbors this would be a different world!!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

agreed thank you very much for that input haha
Old 09-16-2008, 07:47 PM

Grizzly mint all the way. Been dipping 25 years still have all my teeth (straight and white) and gums are intact. No problems so far in the stand either. Spitting is not an issue if I have a bottle I will use it and if I don't I feed the worms. Try to take bottle during bow season. Oh yeah been married 14 years and it was like my hunting she wasn't going to change that about me. Man up boys if you can do it own up to it.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dipped copenhagen snufffor 10 years and always dipped in the stand and spit out of the stand. Deer never really paid it any attention that i noticed. I quit after i found out i needed surgery to replace gum tissue on some of my bottom teeth, coincidently the same places where i put the snuff frequently. The Doc also said i had the beginning of Leucoplakia(sp?)on parts of my gums.It was very hard quiting from dipping a can a day for that long, but it can be done. All my friends and my brother still dip, but it scared me straight. I would urge you all to quit