Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is your routine?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your routine?

This is my routine before hunting during gun season
[ol][*]Alarm goes off 1 1/2 before shooting light[*]Grab a decent size breakfast, pack a small lunch in case the deer are moving all day.[*]Drive over to hunting area, have country music on the radio. Opening morning, I'm about as excited as a kid on Christmas morning. Bring on the Deer![*]Get to my hunting area, do my scent free routine as best I can. Shut my door as soft as possible followed by at least one guy slamming his door (accident of course)[*]Slowly walk to stand, the slower and quieter the better.[*]Climb into stand. If its a box blind, take down the windows and get set up. Its a regular stand, get everything into its location in case I need it.[*]Since I am in my stand 45 mins. before light, I shut up and listen. I can't tell you how many deer ive heard before light chasing and know to watch that direction at first light. This is critical.[*]Im lucky tohave a large Bladder, unless I sit all day, I can hold it. If I do have to go, straight out the tree or out the backdoor. Never had a problem with that.[*]Unless there are deer everywhere, I usually go in around 11 or so for some coffee and lunch and hopefully to show off my buck (Usually not) Its a good time to plan the afternoon hunt.[*]After lunch and some coffee, back to the stand around 1:30.[*]If I kill something in the AM, I usually tag it and if its cold enough, let it lie. I'll gut it out when I have a little help, plus, I don't want to be up walking around that early and ruin everyone hunt.[*]If its an afternoon kill, I'll usually drag it out if I know it's down then wait until everyones done hunting to gut it out.[*]Celebrate (Deer or not) I just got doing the thing I love with friends and family. It's time to crack open a few cold ones and tell the stories of the days hunt. If all has gone well on the first few days of the season, someone has a deer down and it's time to hear the story.[/ol]
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

1. wake up good hour before sun up
2. shower in scent free soap
3. eat a big breakfast
4. go to bathroom
5. drive to woods.
6. spray down with scent free spray
7. double check for all equip.
8. walk to stand
9. situate my calls, binos. in my stand
10. HUNT
Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
jme

-wake up 2.5 hours before sun up
-cup of coffee, this 'gets the system going', if you know what I mean
-very light breakfast
-check email for any high-priority work items
-check online weather and hunting forums
-system dump
-shower with scentless soap
-pack hunting gear
-drive 40 minutes to hunting area
-dress in hunting garb that's been stored in plastic after being washed in baking soda and dried outside
-in stand at least one hour before sun up, that's 30 min before shooting light
Old 09-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Opening day, gun season-
The weather forecast is checked the night before, appropriate clothing laid out as well as the gear.

I too work backwards from legal shooting 30 min before sunrise, one hour to walk in and let things settle, one hour for the wood stove, making coffee, eating, dressing and driving. So-
1) Get up 2 1/2 hours before sunrise.
2) Add wood to stove or yell at someone less than 50 to do it.
3) Start the coffee and also start the bull ****t'n.
4) Get mostly dressed.
5) Eat something easy like instant oatmeal and an orange and drink coffee.
6) Take care of bodily functions and finish dressing.
7) Drive to open area very close to property.
8) Check wind direction and maps and make sure everyone knows everyone else's plan.
9) Drive or walk to each of our locations.
10) Meet back at vehicles mid day and go to town for lunch. (I know this can be productive hunting time but lunch is social and helps the restaurant maintain profitability and to stay open, a big deal in some small farm towns.)
11) Repeat morning hunt in afternoon.
12) Buy more antlerless tags if needed for next day.
13) Big meal and much more bull ****t'n at the cabin after dark.

If someone needs help dragging a deer that is usually done before lunch or at the end of the day.

The deer we get are field dressed when shot and hung on the cabin porch or from the deer tree. My boys and I butcher our own later (4 or 5 days if the weather is right). Others in our group get their deer to a processor.

Bob
Old 09-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Well I usually start drinking the night before around 6 or so, that way I can get at least 12 or 13 beers in me before I hit the trail sometime around 2 am. Then while I'm walking to my deer stand I'll smoke a joint or two so I'm good and ripped before I start climbing a tree with my spotlight. Once I'm up in the tree I pull my cooler up the side with some rope so I can have a couple more beers while I'm waiting for something to move. If something moves I put the spotlight on it and blast away! I don't care if it's light or not, I'm shootin!!!! This is how I've been doing it for years! There's nothing better than being in a tree drunk on schlitz waitin' for something to walk by so I can shoot it! Isn't that what huntings all about??

By the way, I'm totally messing around so don't flip out guys.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

1) Wake up, get dessed, be on stand an hour before legal shooting.
2) Shoot deer at first light.
3) Breakfast - Wheaties and Budweiser.

Really now...

1) Upat 3:30AM
2) Have coffee, put on jeans, sweatshirt, jacket and sneakers. Make sure I pack my lunch (6 tootsie pops)
3) Drive to hunting area, put on hunting clothes and grab my trusty hunting rifle, M/Lor bow.
4) Be setup an hour before legal shooting.
5) Stay dark 'til dark and hope I shoot that big old buck anytime during the hunt.
6) Meet the guys back at the truckat the end of the day, have them admire my buck , put my jeans etc back on, have a quick beer with the guys while sharing stories of the day's hunt and head back to camp for dinner.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sureisaniceskimask

Well I usually start drinking the night before around 6 or so, that way I can get at least 12 or 13 beers in me before I hit the trail sometime around 2 am. Then while I'm walking to my deer stand I'll smoke a joint or two so I'm good and ripped before I start climbing a tree with my spotlight. Once I'm up in the tree I pull my cooler up the side with some rope so I can have a couple more beers while I'm waiting for something to move. If something moves I put the spotlight on it and blast away! I don't care if it's light or not, I'm shootin!!!! This is how I've been doing it for years! There's nothing better than being in a tree drunk on schlitz waitin' for something to walk by so I can shoot it! Isn't that what huntings all about??

By the way, I'm totally messing around so don't flip out guys.
Do they still make Schlitz? That brings back memories, along with Blatz. Those were the good ole days.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:15 PM

I don't know? Do they even still make schlitz? lol

It just came to me.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: superstrutter
2. Hope and pray I can take a crap. You know if you don't,
it's going to hit you as soon as you hit the woods.
Haha... you know it!!!! Thats the truth! Focus on the poo and you'll never get it out. Usually coffee runs right through me... its one of my daily work rituals... drink coffee... take poo 15 mins later... however, the coffee has no effect when heading to the woods. I usually try to force it out right before bed the night beforethen i am not as worried when i get butt pucker at thetruckstop at 3AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

the whole piss is piss thing i dont buy it sorry

Quick Reply: What is your routine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.