Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is your routine?

Old 09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is your routine?

1. Wake up 1 1/2 hour b4 sunrise.
2. shower
3. Hardees(if I dont feel like cereal)
4. 25min. drive to hunting area trying to be as quiet as I can with a diesel.
5. Check for all gear
6. walk into woods
7. I check the wind constantly , ifits is not right I just move into position off of my stand till its were I want it for the trail I am hunting.
8. gut deer(hopefully)

If I have to take a leak I'v always just did right were I was hunting, honestly never noticed to bother the deer. Now if I have to take careof some other buiness I dig a small hole with my boot then bury it, as much for my sence of smell as the deers, lol.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: afrdnckhntr

the whole piss is piss thing i dont buy it sorry
You don't huh? Well, If you don't want to piss in the woods you don't have. I will piss wherever I want,and I bet you I will see plenty of deerjust likeI have been doing for years. Trust me, deer aren't alarmed by your urine. Maybe curious, but not alarmed.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

ORIGINAL: afrdnckhntr

the whole piss is piss thing i dont buy it sorry
You don't huh? Well, If you don't want to piss in the woods you don't have. I will piss wherever I want,and I bet you I will see plenty of deerjust likeI have been doing for years. Trust me, deer aren't alarmed by your urine. Maybe curious, but not alarmed.
ss- Well said. I agree 100%.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. Wake up 2 hours before shooting light
2. East a bowl of Applejacks or Fruit Loops
3. Go start the truck to get it warmed up
4. Kiss the wife and kid bye while they sleep
5. Go get the clothes thatI left hangingoutside over night to air out
6. Drive to hunting location and wind up turning the AC on so I dont sweat in the truck on the way over there
7.Arrive atthe hunting location, approximately 1 hour before sunrise.
8. Put a round in the chamber, walk slowly to hunting spot, and find a tree to sit against.

Someone else mentioned it, but the greatest part about all of this is when I'm sitting against the tree and its pitch black outside, but you can hear the deer walking around you. When Ihear the deer walkingin the woods, 9 times out of 10 i will know which direction I will be looking/shooting at 30 minutes before sunrise simply because i can hear the deer moving in a certain area and in a certain direction. I think the most important thing a hunter can do, other than being downwind, is getting to alocation an hourearly and just listening to the woods.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Spike

I believe that they aren't bothered by urine in the woods at all. My dad smokes in the woods and sees / kills plenty of deer. He even claims to have pissed on three does as they walked under him. My brother in law chews and spits dip while in the stand. I've went several times with what seems like no effect.
If you think about it, something like 80 of your scent comes from your mouth, so if you aren't doing anything to make your breath scent free all the other stuff you are doing is somewhat useless. Other than maybe rubber boots so you don't leave a terrible scent trail right to your stand.
The best day I had in a tree, morning took a 131" buck (my first one ever) That evening I walked in in the same clothing from the mornings hunt. Torsal gland scent all over me from cleaning the buck that morning. I had 3 does walk right to me smelling almost everything I touched as I walked in. Came with in 8 yards then looked right up at me. That's about the time the .357 went off.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 AM

1. wake up 1 hour before daylight
2. ride to store get a drink and a hunnybun
3. hunt
4 go home sleep
5 back to store at lunch time to talk..see kills and eat hotdogs
6 back in woods
7 same as number 5
Old 09-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Spike

Very interesting posts guys. Hope those of you who mentioned beer as part of the routine aren't leaving the cans out in the field. Nothing I hate more than seeing a good hunting ground trashed with beer cans!

Thanks for all the good feedback though!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: namari

it is a bad idea to eat a full meal before you hunt it increases your chances of a heart atack while hunting
Interesting. I've never heard this theory before. I think I would risk heart attack if I went out for the day without eating. I wake up hungry and have to have a big breakfast to start the day. Do you have more information on this?
Most people in WI who die from hunting related things either die from gunshot wounds, treestand falls, or heart attacks when dragging out their deer. I'm sure eating prior to the hunt has very little to do with any of those 3. I wouldn't throw down a huge breakfast for the obvious ramifications to come later (BM), but not eating is a bit ludicrous.