Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Mr Whitetail ( Larry Wiseshoun )  SP ? >

Mr Whitetail ( Larry Wiseshoun ) SP ?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mr Whitetail ( Larry Wiseshoun ) SP ?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mr Whitetail ( Larry Wiseshoun ) SP ?

I agree, I DVR his shows and pretty much Fast Forward through most of it. I agree he is a good hunter, but everyone knows a Pistol is tougher to hunt with than a rifle.I did see the episode where he missed everything by a mile and I was a little disturbed. No one blames him for missing, but when you consistly hunt with one type of weapon which is tougher than other options you better be good at it. I would have no problem having him switch to a rifle, i'd still watch the show. He hunts a lot of Texas though and I'm a midwest hunter so a lot of the info. he gives doesn't pertain to my style of hunting.

I also agree with A11en, he's not saying Larry is a bad hunter, he's just got to rethink how he goes for deer. I'm sure there are mechanics out there that know everything about cars and can tell you anything you need to know, but when they get behind the wheel, they drive like crap. Actually, I know a guy like that.

I'd like to think most of us are for an ethical kill and after seeing him miss a deer 4 times on a trip it does get me thinking that he should choose another weapon.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

There is a big difference between knowing alot about deer and deer hunting and being able to shot a gun well enough to cleanly take the animal you are after. I was not allowed to hunt untill i could consistantly shoot well at a target. Granted, targets and live deer a different, when you consider 'buck fever' and all of that sort of stuff.
Larry may be "Mr. White-tail" but that doesn't make hime "Mr. Marksman"
Old 09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Larry is a great deer biologist, probably a good hunter and at least a fair shooter. He has worn glasses for as long as I've known of him.
Maybe its time for him to admitthat he doesn't have the control or the eyesight for a pistol anymore!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Larry is a great deer biologist, probably a good hunter and at least a fair shooter. He has worn glasses for as long as I've known of him.
Maybe its time for him to admitthat he doesn't have the control or the eyesight for a pistol anymore!
Or just check the Zero on his gun.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the post that stated that just because you are a great deer biologist, dosen't make you a great hunter. As a great hunter, you should know your limitations. If Larry is having difficulties with the pistol or simply hunting with it, then as a responsible hunter he should do something to correct it. I'm sure that most of us have made bad shots or at least shot placement that we weren't happy with but the question is, "Are Larry's poor shot placements occuring with greater frequencies than his good shot placements?" That is aquestion that only Larry can answer.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:47 PM

this thread is unbelievable. All the episodes this man has done, he finally actually shows footage of a screw up (which most wont) and he get climbed on....wow.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll start this by saying I kind of like the guy, but I have seen him mess up more than once before this year. Once he was hunting with a guide . Why he needs a guide to hunt whitetails I don't know. They were hunting with a muzzleloader next to a pond and a nice buck walks up. The deer stands steady as a rock and he shoots. He says, "He's hit, he's hit hard." The deer bounded off pretty as a picture and didn't look as if to be hit. After looking for blood or anything else for a couple of hours, he decided his shooting stick had "slipped". Well, I guess you gotta give the guy credit for showing his screw ups.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I look at it, the guy is just human. He's a TV personality and a well known name in his field. It didn't happen overnight, he paid his dues like anyone else in the field.

It's just a TV program, if you don't like it, don't watch it.It's allentertainment.Everyone on them is still human which means it's not going to be any better than watching your neighbor Bob down the street go on a hunt in Texas. Just sit back and enjoy the hunt, or change the channel.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 PM

Larry always struck me as a very personable,amiable guy.and we'd all probably learn a lot listening to what he has to say about deer and hunting them.regardless of how many days a year you or he spends hunting each year, larry most likely has a couple dozen more years in the field than you or I !!.that said, i have to say that i saw the t.v. show in which he earns the nickname Larry"if at first you don't succeed, shoot shoot again!"Weishun. I was apalled !! I couldn't believe they aired that on t.v.!!. nothing for young,learning hunters to see. after missing the first shot by what looked like a foot and a half, any ethical hunter would holster the pistol and head right back to the target range and check your scope!!.the last time I missed a deer that badly,he didn't spook(just like larry's deer)I ducked behind a tree, pulled a dime out of my pocket and unscrewed the scope rings from the base,and killed the deer with the iron sights of my 30-30.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

slob hunter comes to mind.

Quick Reply: Mr Whitetail ( Larry Wiseshoun ) SP ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.