Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anybody hunted KS units 16/17 WIHA's >

Anybody hunted KS units 16/17 WIHA's

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody hunted KS units 16/17 WIHA's

Old 09-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Spike

Default Anybody hunted KS units 16/17 WIHA's

Anybody out there that has hunted deer in any of the WIHA areas of Kansas units 16 or 17? Looking to bowhunt.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Spike

Default RE: Anybody hunted KS units 16/17 WIHA's

Iv'e been all over unit 17 pheasant hunting and know for a fact theres deer, big ones too. Its just the fact of bagging some of those with a bow. With a rifle its accomplishable but you will rarely find a single tree in these WIHA and in many you cant use the terrain to your advantage very well, so going at it with a stick and string would be tough work. Im not trying to discorage you at all or want you to stray away from this area at all, I just know that from all the years Ive been in that area that any deer with a bow out there is a feat in its own. If you want any more info PM me or something, I now live around Kansas City but will probably be out there a few times during deer season. Are you from out of state?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Spike

I'm a Okie & I used to live around your area of KC, Olathe & Gardner. I hunted around Pomona & Paola off and on for the last 20 years, awesome ground. I thought I would which it up and try unit 16 & 17 on a deal worked out with a outfitter, but I'm not big on outfitters & trying to have a back up plan just in case.Thanks for the info.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Spike

Geez small world huh? Im from Olathe and turkey hunt pomona, and hillsdale but deer hunt up towards bonner springs. Well what are you trying to go after muley or white-tail? and during what season are you planning on heading out there? Just curious, if the outfitter thing doesn't work out still I would be able to get ya some good info.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Spike

B Springs is a good looking area with some nice big ridges, that is what alot of people don't know about KS is the eastern side of the state is totally different than the rest. I've hunted up at Easton, big bucks, not alot of deer numbers. Pomona has some serious longbeards and I used to call in a truck load of dogs around Hillsdale & snared many of cats there too. I'll be in KS hunting whitetails (on film) anytime from the last week of Oct. to the second week of Nov. Have to work in between Okie ML and before Nebraska gun. May hunt KS a little after OK gun (after ThanksGiving). Thanks for any reports out in that area or that perfect tree on a draw or gully area.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 AM

I'll be hunting the early muzzleloader season in # 15 and #16. We are focusing our efforts for now on two WIHAs in unit 16. I would be happy to post a report for you once I return. I will keep an eye on this post until I leave for any good info!

Old 09-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Spike

I have an archery tag for Units 15 and 16 and I was all over them scouting every piece of Walk-in land that I could find. As stated earlier, unit 16 is very wide open and not much help terrain wise. I found several promising spots a little further east though, where the terrain begins to change into agriculture and creek bottoms.