HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Long Range Shooting at Game Animals (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/26139-long-range-shooting-game-animals.html)

John B 45 03-14-2003 06:37 PM

Long Range Shooting at Game Animals

I am the shooting host on a new TV hunting show called " The Best of the West"

We have a lot of long range shooting of big game on video and will probably run some of it on our show. When I say long range I mean 500 yds - 800yds. All are one-shot kills with most animals dropping immediately to the shot.

What do you guys think about this? I would like your feedback.

gunmaster12 03-14-2003 06:50 PM

RE: Long Range Shooting at Game Animals

on the outdoor chanel i hope
i' d be interested in watching.

jerseyhunter 03-14-2003 06:53 PM

I,d say droppig an animal at that distance is fine if you are a meat hunter. But at that range it takes all the sport out of it unless your quarry can shoot back if you miss.

Russ otten 03-14-2003 07:01 PM

After viewing this video, there may be a lot of wounded animals running off to die.
As the old saying goes, Monkey, Monkey do. and there are a lot of people (I won' t call them hunters) who will try and mimic the shooting that they see. Many don' t realize that it takes a lot of practice, a full knowll;edge of the rifle you are using, and the ballistics knowledge to take these kind of shot. In my case my limit is 300 yds. and I better have a rock solid rest to even attempt that shot. I think that the video should go into what these ' hunters' go through to be able to take these shots. I would like to see the video, but I am aware that I am not capable of doing such shooting.

Brokenrack 03-14-2003 07:19 PM

I' d say that' s a great shot and takes alot of skill and knowledge of your firearm ect.[8D]
Ever here of the Origanal 1,000Yd Rifle Club In PA, Some of thier members make shot' s like that, from one ridge to another.

:(Jersey, That deer shot at a thousand yards with a high power rifle and the one shot at 30yds with an arrow from a treestand are EXACTLY the same. Obviously niether had any Knowledge they were about to die, both where ambushed.

Nomercy 03-14-2003 07:46 PM

I don' t see anything wrong with taking responsible long range shots. There are a lot of avid hunters that are also BR shooters or that simply shoot at long ranges often that would have no trouble sending a high powered round out after game at a half mile (800yrds). I have never taken a shot that long on deer (383yrds was max) but I' ve taken a coyote at almost 470yrds and felt confident that I could have done so at much farther. My grandfather used to hunt coyotes with a lever action .45-70 with iron sights, I once witnessed him make a 650yrd shot on a trotting coyote, an amazing distance on a stationary target, let alone a moving one. If a guy knows his rifle well enough, and his rifle is capable of grouping well, in most high powered cases, accuracy is the limiting factor of the range, not the power of the round. If the event presented itself I would feel comfortable taking a 550-600yrd shot with my .30-06 and never think twice about it.

John B 45 03-14-2003 08:17 PM

The show will start on The Sportsman Channel. This is a new channel dedicated 100% to hunting and fishing. It will be offered free to any sat. or cable company that wants to carry it. Call your TV provider and ask for it.

www.thesportsmanchannel.com

We also are scheduled to start on the Outdoor Channel Jan 2004

Wickman (Buckmaster) 03-15-2003 07:10 AM

If you can drop an animal at that distance id say go for it. Just as long as they drop i see no problem in showing it.

jerseyhunter 03-15-2003 05:32 PM

Brokenrack I' m not against the kill but I' d like to see the animal in its beuty that I' m about to harvest. A shot out to 3-400 yds is reasonable at least you can still see the animal with the naked eye, but 800 - a thousand yds thats more than half a mile. wheres the finess to the hunt itself, the outwitting,the cunning,the grace? A shot like that is nothing more than good marksmanship not a good hunt.

kodiakhuntmaster 03-16-2003 02:18 PM

I don' t see anything wrong with that kind of shooting if you can pull it off. With good optics, a steady rest and a good rifle you can see that deer pretty good at 1000 yards. And if you have practiced at that range, then whats the problem? It takes the sport out of it? That seems to be a personal opinion that we all must decide for ourselves. Some people say using a rifle takes all the sport out of it. Some say using a bow with sights takes the sport out of it, but does that mean we shouldn' t have shows the play to the audience that hunts with guns and bows with sights?

Some people like watching shows with long shots.

I' m ready for something new in the hunting tv world, all the shows are about the same at the moment. It would be nice to see someone using the full potential of thier rifle for once. (like a 7mag)

I think most people would know they can' t shoot a deer at 1000 yards if they haven' t practiced it first. If they do think they can do that, then this isn' t thier biggest problem.

Personaly, I would like to see more big game hunting with shotguns. Compounds and blackpowder get most of the tv time. I' ve seen handgun hunts and of course rifle hunts, but I' d say in the last 2 years, I' ve only seen maybe two shows that had anyone using a shotgun on deer. For many people, that is the only legal modern firearm they can use on deer.