Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why not wear a safety harness?? >

Why not wear a safety harness??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why not wear a safety harness??

Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why not wear a safety harness??

I hunt only from the ground so i have no experience with treestand hunting and having to make a decision to wear a harness. I have seen some posts here where people mention that they do not wear one.
I am curious though. Why would someone choose not to wear safety harness? Is it uncomfortable?. Difficult to put on? Does it get in the way? Expensive?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why not wear a safety harness??

personally i agree with you on this on. I really determine the need to wear a harness depending on the stand i am hunting. I have an oversized ladder stand with foot rests, arm rests, seat, and shooting rest that very honestly you would have to jump out of to fall. I feel very secure in this and only use it duing gun season.

For archery season however, we hunt alot smaller standsthat are primarily open for 300degrees ofshootingand a few of them are hang ons... Personally being 250lbs and only being held in a tree by a 1" nylon strap that has been outside in the elements for a few weeks just never set right with me....Even the ladder stands with no arm rests are kinda hairy for me to be up in...especially when that big buck comes walking in to you. Its nice to know that if i make a wrong step, turn just a little too far, or even lean outof the standto get a better shot that i am secure to that tree and will not be hurt if i lose my balance.

The harness simply makes you even more effective in the tree and gives you the confidence to make the shot not to mention it can save your arms, legs, back, and possibly life if you take a tumble...

I finally broke down and got the HSS this year. I wont stand hunt without it.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 AM

The kind of safety harnesses that come with tree stands are usually the cheap kind and are pretty uncomfortable, but I'm looking into the hunter safety system, only reason why i haven't bought it yet is that it's $120. HSS looks really comfortable and easy to use so i would say its a good investment. I used one of the cheaper kinds of harnesses once and didn't like it so i sit without one. Hopefully I'll save up enough money for the HSS before the season starts up again!!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 AM

I would recommend that noone should climb up/down, or hunt from an elevated stand of any type without the use of a climbing harness.

Safety harness are comfortable (I am not aware I am wearing on after the first trip or two) they are not difficult to put on. I can put mine on in the total darkness. I use the harness that came with my stand. However there are several safety harness vest available.

The first harness I used I had some difficulty in selecting the correct arm to put on the correct strap. So in that case I placed some electrical black tape on the right strap to make it fool proof and practiced a few times at home.

I once fell from from a ladder placed in a tree. I feel only about 12 feet on the soft dirt. My one heel took most of my weight a and twisted braking my ankle and my leg in two places.

This required surgery, 10 screws, a metal plate, 6 weeks off work, doctor bills and a lot of pain; however I did save the cat.

Luckily the accident happen early in the Spring so I was able to hunt and use my tree stand in archery season. I purchased a deer cart to get my buck out of the woods. It cost $120 and the drag was approximately 120 yards to the house. That is about a dollar a yard.

Please use safety equipment. A fall could spoil your hunt.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

everybody should use one 12foot 25 foot use it.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont care if youre 6 feet off the ground, PUT IT ON!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 AM

I used a harness for a while, but I hunt mostly in a river bottom and the ground is always really moist. Whenever a strong wind kicks up there are always some good healthy trees getting blown over. The first year I hunted with a harness on I witnessed a 50 or 60 year old oak get blown over less than 40yards from the oak I was in. All I could picture was me going down strapped to that tree, and not being able to jump away and the tree falling on me. I like the freedom.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Why would someone choose not to wear safety harness?
Stupidity.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable hunting from a stand without one. When I stand up to take my shot or stretch I feel nice and safe with it on.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I've looked at many "How high?" threads here and other BBs, and determined that a mjority of tree stand hunters seem to consider 25" as their optimum height. I've also seen a chilling statistic, falls from 25' or greater are usually fatal. I've also heard more than a few tales of hunters falling from heights of less than 15', the average height of a ladder stand,and suffering debilitating or even fatal injuries.I've personally slipped while climbing only to be saved by my harness. If you hunt from height without a safety harness you're justas stupid as those who drive without their seatbelt fastened.

Quick Reply: Why not wear a safety harness??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.