Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Who shoots Hornady SST Rifle bullets? >

Who shoots Hornady SST Rifle bullets?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who shoots Hornady SST Rifle bullets?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default Who shoots Hornady SST Rifle bullets?

Give me the pros and cons! Even if you dont shoot them and know somebody who does tell me a lil bit about them. I have a 30-06 and am thinking about getting them in 150 grain. I have been shooting 150 grn power points. Thanks....
Old 09-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who shoots Hornady SST Rifle bullets?

I use the 165 grain sst. So far the only bad thing about them is that when they enter a hog it looks like a grenade went off. I am also using a 30-06. Pro's? Accurate, dependable, consistant groups, and good ballistics. great bullet.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Spike

I use 180 gr sst. I don't have a single complaint about them. Accurate and comparitively cheap.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

I have heard they will drop a deer quicker than any other bullet, but have trouble with penetration, is this true?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting their regualr SP flat based bulletout of my .270 lately. Very very accurate and perfect for my hunting world where nothing is over 80 yrds it seems. Flat based bullets seem to out perform in the animal under 100yrds from my experience.

The SST, as a boat tail can have some issues coming apart very easily on a short shot thus MAYBEhaving some penetration problems on a bad shot, but i havent heard many complaints. If you are shooting over 200yrds i wouldnt hesitate to try this bullet in your gun. Everything I have tried from HornadayI have been fairly satisfied with. I wont even mention the damage their SST slugs do on a whitetail...WOW is pretty much allI have to say!

I think any quality bullet you use from a quality manufacturer is going to perform above most standards. However if you hit a deer in the right spot with anything its gonna go down in a hurry regaurdless of who makes the bullet, scope, or rifle.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

I used the 150 sst out of my 300 win mag with good results, but shoot the almost identical 150 grain interbond for elk. If you are worried about the explosive properties of the sst go with the interbond. Both however will kill a deer with ease.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:41 AM

I shoot the SST in a 243, 7mm-08, .308, .270, and 30.06.... A great bullet in all five cals.

I have had no ( zero ) problems with penetration with them. My shots have ranged from 90 yards and farther.... I began shooting them about 3 years ago, and have been impressed enough to begin shooting them in all my guns.

God Bless

MET

Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

They usually travel about 3 to 4 inches into the animal and then turn everything into guava paste. Then they come out the other side. No sweat.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

165 gr.'s out of an -06 also. Good results. Never a problem
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used them in both the 30-06, and .243, and they have performed well. They generally expand very quickly, and all have had a niceexit hole.

Quick Reply: Who shoots Hornady SST Rifle bullets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.