Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

slug hunting

Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: slug hunting

thanks. what type of magnification for shotgun scope do you suggest?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mythbusters needs to debunk this one.

"Shotgun" scopes are not made any sturdier than "rifle" scopes. Shotgun scopes may have longer eye relief and are generally lower power andparallax free at 50 or 75 yds. Those are the only differences.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:29 PM

Scopes also don't "gather" light. They magnify the image which is why you can see it better. Use a 1X scope and it will not give any light advantage over the naked eye, if anything it will have less light. Scopes always absorb light, some just less than others but they never increase it.

And like said above the biggest difference in a shotgun scope is the parallax setting. A rifle scope will be between 100-150 and the shotgun version will be 50-75. Some manufacturers will adjust it for you if you want though. I am pretty sure Leupold will.

Again I wouldn't put a scope on a shotgun receiver, even if it's drilled and tapped for one. Unless you plan on pinning the barrel. Your better off with good rifle sights.

Paul
Old 09-04-2008, 05:53 AM

try a few and find one that acts well with your gun. I have shot the 2$ a box remingtons my whole life and have never fallen for the yuppie slugs. You know the gold green brass red striped type hahaha Any way the use of a scope really depends on the woods your hunting. If 50 yds is all you will shoot a little practice will build your confidence and when a deer comes blazing by your buddies because they can't find him in their scope you'll be glad you shoot the iron sites
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

some friends of mines have used this

mounts on it and you can put your red-dot scope on that