Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stealing Treestands?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Stealing Treestands?

I have had several stands stolen from people in the 20-25 age group. I know how you feel
Old 09-04-2008, 04:44 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Gimphunter

My hunting location this year is an hour away from home. I hunt public land. I bought my first ladder stand this year. I figure the only way for me is to go late in the afternoon the day before I hunt. Set it up and not leave until dark. I'm sure it'll be there the next morning for my use but will have to disassemble it and take it with me when I leave. It makes it hard on these old bones but that's my reality.
Any ladder stand can be converted to a game cart with the simple addition of some 20" bicycle tires and an axle, they sell kits for this in many catalogs. The current Hunting Supplies catalog from Sportsman's Guide has a ladder stand with just such a conversion kit included for a pretty reasonable price. If you have to pack a ladder stand in and out just to hunt it may as well shoulder the load for you. Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

We have had 3 game cameras stolen. Its to the point where we have to hide them somewhere. Sure would be nice to put them on our clover patches to see whats coming in them you know.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted Alabama for almost 30 years and never had a stand stolen ..movedd to west Kentucky and had a new Summit stolen out from behind my house two months after I hung it ...go figure. I have no idea who stole it but I hope they do a nose dive into the tree of life when they use it [:@]

dd
Old 09-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

I can understand why someone would steal a stand (or anything else), they want to use it themselves or sell it. I really don't understand why someone would vandalize a stand if they are unable to steal it. Are they trying to punish the rightful owner for protecting his property? Why go through the trouble of destroying something if they gain nothing from the effort?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 AM

didnt feel like taking my steps out one morning when i left my stand came back an hour, 2at the most and my stand/steps were gooooone...$100 down the drain. Think it was 20-25 yr old that did it, probably the guy that ignored me when i flashed my light at him to show that he was trying to setup 200 yards away from me...[:@]
Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I have had a couple stands stolen from me, 4 to be exact. I hunt an urbanized area. I use chains and cables with locks now, i also put somewhere on my stand the last 4 digits of my SSN. I have gone to pawn shops after my stands went missing and found them. I got 2 stands back because my last four digits were on them.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 AM

I had one stand stolen. It was one on my all time favorite stands. I had modified it with parts from two other stands.It was near a road and a truck passed by twice with two guys in it and they saw me in the stand. I know about all the local trucks in the area, but not this one. I had a feeling they might be up to no good.

Against my better judgment I left the stand after dark on a Saturday night. It was gone when I returned on Monday morning to hunt. I drove around the next Saturday looking for the truck with no success.

On another occasion I shot a buck early in the morning. A buddy dropped me off on public land and he was hunting about two miles away. The area has two different roads about equal distance from here I dropped the buck. I carried my stand, backpack and bow to a point near one of the roads which I had intended to drag the deer. However, I though I would call my wife to pick me and the deer up and not to disturb my hunting partner. The opposite road from where I left my gear was an easier place for my wife to find me and the only place my cell phone would work. On the way out while dragging my deer I passed three small game hunters and talked to them for a while.

With the deer in the jeep I drove back to the location I had hidden my gear. The three hunters were walking the rode back to their truck and I talked to them for a minute again. I proceed to drive to the location to pick up my gear. Luckily I hidden my bow separate from my back pack and stand. The backpack and stand had been moved to another location nearer the road. I pick out all my gear and when back to talk to the three guys. They seemed very nervous about talking to me and didn't answer my questions very well and murmured some about seeing another guy in the woods. I dove the area and of course there were no cars any closer than my buddies two miles away.

The wife being along I let it go....But I figure I had about $1,500 dollars in gear..stand, range finder, knife, binoculars, Sentlok pants/coat/shirt, scents, bow etc.

One can never be two careful....Thieves are every when and they will lie to your face.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I remain mystified as to why someone would go thru the time, effort, and risk to steal a deer stand. You really need to be totally lacking a life to do it.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

jsut buy a $5 bike lock and put one on every stand, if someone is determined enough to rob a stand with a lock on they are unstopable. I have never had someone take a stand and I lock every one even on land I knwo nobody should be one, keep the honest honest and the dishonest carrying to much Sh$# to make it worth it.

Quick Reply: Stealing Treestands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.