Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone have plans to build a deer blind? >

Anyone have plans to build a deer blind?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone have plans to build a deer blind?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

We built a few this year and had some very good results using them. In fact, I plan on adding a couple more to our property for the 2010 season.

My best advice to you..... make sure you build them with plenty of room. It makes the hunt so much more comfortable if you do and the cost of materials won't be that much more.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Spike

Wow, nice stand! May as well go in style. You're right though, most people don't build them with enough room. My uncle lost a nice buck last year because he didn't even have enough room to pull back properly on the angle.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default these are definitely very nice buildings!!!!!

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
We built a few this year and had some very good results using them. In fact, I plan on adding a couple more to our property for the 2010 season.

My best advice to you..... make sure you build them with plenty of room. It makes the hunt so much more comfortable if you do and the cost of materials won't be that much more.

However, us carpenter types can produce a very nice building w/ some nice site lines!!! I don't care what my buds, or neighbors thinks how it looks, I'm trying to meld into the landscape. A box looks like a box, no matter what paint or camo pattern you adorn your den away from home in. Think about what you are trying to accomplish, Not to stick out like a sore thumb in your surroundings, hence the term camouflage. What I like to do is "break up" the site lines, right angles. Siding is huge! After my substrate, I cover w/ felt paper/ or my fave ice shield, then I tack/screw pine or oak branches as tight as I can get them to the substrate vertically. Now if you build on the ground, around the foundation, I "plant" ivy, or any type of vine indigenious to the area next to it, so it climbs and engulfs the structure in order to break up the lines and have to cut out the windows and dorr. Off the ground, I have planter boxes around the bottom and install same. It "must" look like a bush, or you are defeating your purpose. In Michigan we have grape vines, which I also use for my tree stand ladder, and stand. The more you have to trim for accessability, the better off you are. You are'nt supposed to be there!!!!! It's their backyard, not yours!!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tight360
However, us carpenter types can produce a very nice building w/ some nice site lines!!! I don't care what my buds, or neighbors thinks how it looks, I'm trying to meld into the landscape. A box looks like a box, no matter what paint or camo pattern you adorn your den away from home in. Think about what you are trying to accomplish, Not to stick out like a sore thumb in your surroundings, hence the term camouflage. What I like to do is "break up" the site lines, right angles. Siding is huge! After my substrate, I cover w/ felt paper/ or my fave ice shield, then I tack/screw pine or oak branches as tight as I can get them to the substrate vertically. Now if you build on the ground, around the foundation, I "plant" ivy, or any type of vine indigenious to the area next to it, so it climbs and engulfs the structure in order to break up the lines and have to cut out the windows and dorr. Off the ground, I have planter boxes around the bottom and install same. It "must" look like a bush, or you are defeating your purpose. In Michigan we have grape vines, which I also use for my tree stand ladder, and stand. The more you have to trim for accessability, the better off you are. You are'nt supposed to be there!!!!! It's their backyard, not yours!!!!
Where I hunt as long as I leave the stand there all year around the deer are so used to they will walk right underneath. Guess deer act different in different places but i myself would not worry a bit about putting cover around it.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Spike

Either way...all of those pics look like they should be timeshares. Very impressive.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed

How much do the materials cost to build a blind like that and are the good to bowhunt out of?
Old 08-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Spike

Check out formex.com
Old 08-14-2010, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

I built a similar 5'x4' stand this spring for about $500. I would think you could do it for $300, depending on how fancy you wanted to make it. If you pick the right window design, and the right dimensions for drawing your bow, I would think it would be fine for bow hunting. Animals will come right up to them.

I got my elevators at Gander Mountain. They were cheaper there, plus they had free shipping. http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ID=4008&r=view
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Spike

Check-out formex.com. New design, no hardware or tools needed. you can put it up in 10 minutes, and if you don't like where it is you an move to another spot in minutes.