Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how high should the tree stand be?? >

how high should the tree stand be??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how high should the tree stand be??

Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default how high should the tree stand be??

just bought a new tree stand and went out to put it up this morning. but i was wondering how high should it be??
Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how high should the tree stand be??

Depends on your set up and where you can have some cover as well as have a good opportunity for a shot. It will depend on the terrain you hunt...I have placed hang on stands from 10' to 35' b/c of the terrain and surroundings...There is not a set height to put it, put it where you are comfortable shooting from as well as feel safe....
Old 09-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

well i live in missouri and am hunting on an old 40 acre abandoned farm so it is pretty brushy i cleaned it up a little back a few month's ago. but only the area's i'm gonna hunt. but right now the stand is only 10ft up. should i raise it??? i have a few shooting lane's and stuff. and i would feel comfortable moving it up.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm usually betwween 15 and 20 feet. I use the 5 foot ladder sticks so its easy to adjust the height. But when I set up on ridges I guess I'd average between 20 and 30. Have to feel safe though.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Bro, try hunting it and see if it works, I have no way ofknowing ifit will or won't......I will say this generally the higher (within reason)that you are the better your chances of not getting busted by all their super power senses!!!!! Like I said before I have a hang on stand hung right now that is only 10' up but it is in a major cedar thicket and if I were to go any higher I would not be able to see anything but the tops of the cedars...You will have a "learning curve" to go through with your set-up's before you will have a better idea of what works best in your woods....You just need to use common sense and learn from what you see in the woods...
Old 09-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like to get as high as I can and still be able to see well. I climbedto 50 feet a few times. If it is a ladder stand I like a minimum of 15 feet.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Dominant Buck

When I use the Climber, 20 to 30 ft.........When I use the Ladder Stand, 16ft...
Old 09-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

15 feet to 20 feet. If you go too high you run the risk of making a sharp shooting angle and if you go too low the game can spot you.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually just go as high as I feel comfortable.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two ladder stands and both are 15ft. I know guys with climbers and hang ons that think they have to be in the nose bleed section. My ladder stands are high enough for me.

Quick Reply: how high should the tree stand be??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.