Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

safety harness question

Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default safety harness question

Instead of using a tree belt to fasten a harness to why can't you use a large hook screwed into a tree (providing you can do so legally) ?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: safety harness question

One....it's illegal on most, if not all, public (state and/or federal)lands to screw anything into a living, standing tree....as you mentioned.

Two...the instant jarring or impact on any kind of a hook or screw attachment may be enough to break or snap it. Anything put together is only as strong as it's weakest link, and when you take the weight of yourself...say 200 lbs...plus gear plus clothes...now you're at 235. Speed up to15 miles an hour in a 4 foot freefall before your safety hook gets impacted and that 235 of weight is now something like 1,000 pounds. Snap.

I think in the right situation with the right stuff and doing a little homework, you could conceivably do it that way. I would bet you'd need one heck of a hook to withstand those factors, though.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: safety harness question

i wouldnt feel safe just using a hook but then again i really dont use tree harnesses alot but now that i have started filming it is required but some of the hunters safety systems are so expensive i might just stick with the ones that come with treestands